Re: Eye of Argon WAS Re: [mythsoc] _The Da Vinci Code_

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2004
      On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:32:52PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      > What is a fleeting stead?

      I think what was meant was "fleet steed". From the info I've been able
      to find it was written, illustrated, and mimeographed by a 16-year-old
      back in the 70s, and entered in a short story contest of some sort. Did
      you read very far? One of my favorite aspects is the use of the word
      "slut". I think there's potential for a good "slut" drinking game in a
      reading of The Eye of Argon.

      Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2004
        According to this source:

        http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Ansible/a196.html

        and several other such that you can find by Googling on words from the
        paragraph here about "The Eye of Argon" (a little more than halfway down through the
        issue), the story was written by a Kansas City fan named Jim Theis and
        originally published in a fanzine called OSFAN in 1970. Theis was probably born
        about 1953 and was probably about 16 or 17 when he wrote it. Theis died several
        years ago.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          "The Eye of Argon" entered fannish legend after the late SF author Tom
          Scortia received a copy of the fanzine it was published in and, tickled by
          the sheer badness of the story, started passing copies around. Inspired
          perhaps by the Inklings' party game of trying to read Amanda McKittrick Ros
          aloud without laughing, fans started holding serial readings of this story
          at club meetings and conventions, and have been doing it for at least 25 years.