Eye of Argon WAS Re: [mythsoc] _The Da Vinci Code_

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30 6:32 PM
      What is a fleeting stead?

      I see your point.

      Was this actually published somewhere?

      That Raven's Fate (Raven's Choice? I can never remember) title I purchased
      from Infinity (which sealed the fate of subsidy printers for me) was
      similar. A bit cleaner, but similar. Oww.

      I think we all start out somewhere awfully similar though. It's what we do
      to recognize our faults and try to improve that matters.

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30 7:43 PM
        What is a fleeting stead?
        Read a bit further and it seems to be a horse. I think.
        Anne

      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30 10:09 PM
          On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:32:52PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          > What is a fleeting stead?

          I think what was meant was "fleet steed". From the info I've been able
          to find it was written, illustrated, and mimeographed by a 16-year-old
          back in the 70s, and entered in a short story contest of some sort. Did
          you read very far? One of my favorite aspects is the use of the word
          "slut". I think there's potential for a good "slut" drinking game in a
          reading of The Eye of Argon.

          Julie
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31 5:35 AM
            According to this source:

            http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Ansible/a196.html

            and several other such that you can find by Googling on words from the
            paragraph here about "The Eye of Argon" (a little more than halfway down through the
            issue), the story was written by a Kansas City fan named Jim Theis and
            originally published in a fanzine called OSFAN in 1970. Theis was probably born
            about 1953 and was probably about 16 or 17 when he wrote it. Theis died several
            years ago.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
              "The Eye of Argon" entered fannish legend after the late SF author Tom
              Scortia received a copy of the fanzine it was published in and, tickled by
              the sheer badness of the story, started passing copies around. Inspired
              perhaps by the Inklings' party game of trying to read Amanda McKittrick Ros
              aloud without laughing, fans started holding serial readings of this story
              at club meetings and conventions, and have been doing it for at least 25 years.