Re: [mythsoc] _The Da Vinci Code_

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2004
      On May 29, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

      > It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book

      Amen.

      One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
      thusly:

      _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
      orgies in front of admiring audiences.

      My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
      appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
      of anonymous sex....
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 30 , May 30, 2004
        <<One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
        thusly:

        _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
        orgies in front of admiring audiences.

        My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
        appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
        of anonymous sex....

        *disappointed* That's it? That's the theme of the book? I'm a big fan of
        sex, actually, but not the mega-anonymous kind. I like the Jesus-Mary
        Magdalene theme, but more in a mystical-romance kind of treatment.

        I'll chuck this book in the same mental pile as Cunningham's _Daughter of
        the Shining Isles_, and keep looking.

        As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
        a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
        for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
        sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
        funny. I guess I'm a mush...

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 30 , May 30, 2004
          On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:33:09PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          > As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
          > a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
          > for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
          > sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
          > funny. I guess I'm a mush...

          Here's the Eye of Argon. Please don't read it with a beverage in hand.
          http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon

          Julie
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 30 , May 30, 2004
            We need to do that in Ann Arbor this summer!!

            Diamond Proudbrook

            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 2004
              At 07:31 PM 5/29/2004 -0700, Berni Phillips wrote:

              >My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
              >monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
              >place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
              >hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
              >the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

              Wasn't there a hulking albino monk in _The Princess Bride_? Now there's a
              great comedic fantasy for you.

              >And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
              >doesn't have any monks.

              There's also a TV show called _Monk_ that doesn't have any monks in it
              either. Talk about misleading.

              >Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
              >fantasies until you laugh.

              Or watching really bad fantasy movies until you laugh. We did that one
              last year.

              - David Bratman