Re: [mythsoc] _The Da Vinci Code_ (was Re: Stewardship vs Dominion and other languagequestions)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2004
      From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

      > THANK YOU for saying so! I just finished this recently, and could only
      > slog through it because I love to pick apart conspiracy theories and
      > unhistorical balderdash -- for fun! But the writing really is _awful_,
      > full of howlers.

      My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
      monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
      place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
      hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
      the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

      And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
      doesn't have any monks.

      I also laughed at the romance novel-type description of the hero and a
      similar description of the police chief. It was so gushing and florid.
      Brown doesn't spend nearly as much oomph discussing the physical attributes
      of the main female character -- and her appearance is actually connected to
      the plot!

      It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book or a contender for what to read
      from when people get tired of "The Eye of Argon." (Lizzie, that's an
      infamous short story that is commonly read late at night at science fiction
      conventions. It's very bad -- overloaded with cliches and typos. The
      schtick is that a person reads until they start laughing and then it's
      passed to the next person and so on.)

      Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
      fantasies until you laugh.

      Berni
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 2004
        On May 29, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

        > It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book

        Amen.

        One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
        thusly:

        _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
        orgies in front of admiring audiences.

        My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
        appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
        of anonymous sex....
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 30 , May 30, 2004
          <<One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
          thusly:

          _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
          orgies in front of admiring audiences.

          My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
          appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
          of anonymous sex....

          *disappointed* That's it? That's the theme of the book? I'm a big fan of
          sex, actually, but not the mega-anonymous kind. I like the Jesus-Mary
          Magdalene theme, but more in a mystical-romance kind of treatment.

          I'll chuck this book in the same mental pile as Cunningham's _Daughter of
          the Shining Isles_, and keep looking.

          As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
          a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
          for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
          sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
          funny. I guess I'm a mush...

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 30 , May 30, 2004
            On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:33:09PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            > As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
            > a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
            > for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
            > sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
            > funny. I guess I'm a mush...

            Here's the Eye of Argon. Please don't read it with a beverage in hand.
            http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon

            Julie
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 2004
              We need to do that in Ann Arbor this summer!!

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Message 6 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                At 07:31 PM 5/29/2004 -0700, Berni Phillips wrote:

                >My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
                >monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
                >place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
                >hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
                >the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

                Wasn't there a hulking albino monk in _The Princess Bride_? Now there's a
                great comedic fantasy for you.

                >And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
                >doesn't have any monks.

                There's also a TV show called _Monk_ that doesn't have any monks in it
                either. Talk about misleading.

                >Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
                >fantasies until you laugh.

                Or watching really bad fantasy movies until you laugh. We did that one
                last year.

                - David Bratman