Re: [mythsoc] Stewardship vs Dominion and other languagequestions

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2004
      Hey Berni,

      Thanks for the info.

      Tobit is a popular book for wedding readings. Is that where the
      expressions about "goose is cooked" come from then?

      Isn't Ecclesiasticus also in there?

      I agree that we should read what we're most comfortable with -- but then
      again, how do we find our favorites of anything except by at some point
      trying them for the first time?

      Good morning, all,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 2004
        On May 27, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

        > Don't bother with _The Da Vinci Code_ -- he lifted all his stuff from
        > _Holy
        > Blood, Holy Grail_, and DVC is very poorly written.

        THANK YOU for saying so! I just finished this recently, and could only
        slog through it because I love to pick apart conspiracy theories and
        unhistorical balderdash -- for fun! But the writing really is _awful_,
        full of howlers. Take this one for example, from early on:

        -----

        "Bezu Fache," the driver said. ... "We call him _le Taureau_."
        Langdon glanced over at him, wondering if every Frenchman had a
        mysterious animal epithet.
        "You call your captain _the Bull_?"
        The man arched his eyebrows. "Your French is better than you admit,
        Monsieur Langdon."
        _My French stinks_, Langdon though, _but my zodiac iconography is
        pretty good_. Taurus was always the bull.

        ------

        Well DUH! That's because taurus _means_ 'bull'! And so does this book.

        ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
        Ars longa, vita brevis.
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 30 , May 29, 2004
          From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

          > THANK YOU for saying so! I just finished this recently, and could only
          > slog through it because I love to pick apart conspiracy theories and
          > unhistorical balderdash -- for fun! But the writing really is _awful_,
          > full of howlers.

          My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
          monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
          place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
          hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
          the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

          And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
          doesn't have any monks.

          I also laughed at the romance novel-type description of the hero and a
          similar description of the police chief. It was so gushing and florid.
          Brown doesn't spend nearly as much oomph discussing the physical attributes
          of the main female character -- and her appearance is actually connected to
          the plot!

          It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book or a contender for what to read
          from when people get tired of "The Eye of Argon." (Lizzie, that's an
          infamous short story that is commonly read late at night at science fiction
          conventions. It's very bad -- overloaded with cliches and typos. The
          schtick is that a person reads until they start laughing and then it's
          passed to the next person and so on.)

          Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
          fantasies until you laugh.

          Berni
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 30 , May 29, 2004
            On May 29, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

            > It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book

            Amen.

            One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
            thusly:

            _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
            orgies in front of admiring audiences.

            My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
            appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
            of anonymous sex....
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 30 , May 30, 2004
              <<One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
              thusly:

              _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
              orgies in front of admiring audiences.

              My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
              appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
              of anonymous sex....

              *disappointed* That's it? That's the theme of the book? I'm a big fan of
              sex, actually, but not the mega-anonymous kind. I like the Jesus-Mary
              Magdalene theme, but more in a mystical-romance kind of treatment.

              I'll chuck this book in the same mental pile as Cunningham's _Daughter of
              the Shining Isles_, and keep looking.

              As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
              a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
              for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
              sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
              funny. I guess I'm a mush...

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • juliet@firinn.org
              Message 6 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:33:09PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                > As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
                > a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
                > for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
                > sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
                > funny. I guess I'm a mush...

                Here's the Eye of Argon. Please don't read it with a beverage in hand.
                http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon

                Julie
              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                  We need to do that in Ann Arbor this summer!!

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                    At 07:31 PM 5/29/2004 -0700, Berni Phillips wrote:

                    >My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
                    >monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
                    >place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
                    >hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
                    >the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

                    Wasn't there a hulking albino monk in _The Princess Bride_? Now there's a
                    great comedic fantasy for you.

                    >And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
                    >doesn't have any monks.

                    There's also a TV show called _Monk_ that doesn't have any monks in it
                    either. Talk about misleading.

                    >Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
                    >fantasies until you laugh.

                    Or watching really bad fantasy movies until you laugh. We did that one
                    last year.

                    - David Bratman