Holdstock's Mythago Cycle

  • Douglas A. Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2004
      Wendell wrote:

      > The following books by Robert Holdstock are a series:
      >
      > _Mythago Wood_
      > _Lavondyss_
      > _The Hollowing_
      > _Merlin's Wood_
      > _Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn_

      Merlin's Wood (1994) does not belong in this list-- it's a separate work,
      using some of the same ideas. (Coincidently it's also a very weak book, not
      recommended.) The Bone Forest (1991) is the name of a short story
      collection of which the eponymous tale is a novella in the Mythago cycle.
      I've read all of the above-- Lavondyss (1988) is a brilliant, brilliant
      book--- I thought it was handsdown the best fantasy of the 1980s, and it can
      be read and appreciated without having read Mythago Wood (1984). A more
      recent Holdstock book that I haven't read is Ancient Echoes (1996), which
      looks to have a close relationship theme-wise with the Mythago book, but I
      don't think it can be classified as part of the sequence. The Hollowing
      came out in 1993, and Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn in 1997.

      Thus:

      Mythago Wood (1984)
      Lavondyss (1988)
      The Bone Forest (1991)
      The Hollowing (1993)
      Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn (1997)

      Doug A.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2004
        In a message dated 5/28/2004 3:16:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        nodens@... writes:

        > Merlin's Wood (1994) does not belong in this list-- it's a separate work,
        > using some of the same ideas.

        Well, both the blurb on the book and the entry on Holdstock in _The
        Encyclopedia of Fantasy_ claim that it's part of the series, but I haven't read it, so
        I'll defer to your judgment.