Re: [mythsoc] Stewardship vs Dominion and other languagequestions

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 30 , May 28, 2004
      It's not quite "nature guardians" but you might take a look at THE HOLY by Daniel Quinn (which I found in regular fiction, not f/sf).

      Diamond Proudbrook

      Message 2 of 30 , May 28, 2004
        <<I don't
        think that's the word they want to use but I can't remember the actual
        Hebrew word either.>>

        Well, in Genesis 1:26 the word used is the verb _rdd_, which literally
        means
        "to beat down", so it emphasises the rather aggressive, "domination" aspect
        of
        "dominion". >>

        Thank you, Alexei and Larry and anyone else. I went and looked up the
        citation, and my book also lists "dominion." But I know I have heard
        "stewardship" in this context. Maybe not in Genesis, but somewhere. I
        guess both words are featured.

        As usual here, when I ask a question I get more than enough to chew on for
        a good few days. Thanks again.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 30 , May 28, 2004
          On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:09:37PM -0400, alexeik@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/28/4 1:56:26 AM, darancgrissom wrote:
          >
          > <<I don't
          > think that's the word they want to use but I can't remember the actual
          > Hebrew word either.>>
          >
          > Well, in Genesis 1:26 the word used is the verb _rdd_, which literally means
          > "to beat down", so it emphasises the rather aggressive, "domination" aspect of
          > "dominion".

          Ah yes, just the verb for what we have to do in our Texas back yard if
          we let the mowing go one week too long ;)

          Julie
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 30 , May 28, 2004
            From: "Margaret Dean" <margdean@...>

            > Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            >
            > > remember, is it the Catholic bibles that have the... oh shoot... those
            > > extra books what are they called?... or the Prot ones?
            >
            > Apocrypha. Catholic bibles, I think, have them; Protestant
            > bibles usually not.

            I just call them regular books of the Bible. What they are are what was
            used in Jesus' time but were sometime not too long after thrown out by the
            Jews because they could not find scrolls with them in Hebrew, just in Greek
            (which was the "civilized" language of the time). I have read that scrolls
            have turned up since then with some of these texts in Hebrew.

            The books are also referred to sometimes as the "deutero-canon," for "second
            canon." It's first and second Maccabbees (probably the most recent thing in
            the Old Testament -- Greek was the common tongue then so it makes sense that
            they would have been written in Greek), Tobit, another wisdom book whose
            name currently escapes me, and chapters of Daniel and Esther. (I could be
            forgetting more.)

            Maccabbees is history and rather gory -- it's basically the story of the
            Jews rebelling against the Greeks. It also contains what Catholics cite as
            scriptural basis for purgatory: at one point, the soldiers pray for their
            fallen comrades. The thinking was that if the dead are in heaven, they
            don't need prayers, if they're in hell, it's too late for prayer, so there
            must be a third state where they're not in heaven yet but will advance there
            eventually, helped on by the prayers of those still living.

            Tobit is a story (teaching story, not necessarily history). It's a hoot and
            very mythopoeic. (See, Joan, it's not totally off-topic.) A bird craps in
            Tobit's eye and he goes blind. He sends his son, Tobias, to a relative to
            collect some money that Tobit had left with him. The angel Rafael is
            Tobias's traveling companion, but Tobias doesn't realize he's an angel. He
            gets to the distant cousin and lo, he has a beautiful, marriageable daughter
            . There's just one catch: she's been married seven times already and each
            time a demon has appeared on her wedding night and killed her new husband.
            The angel tells Tobias how to cook this demon's goose. Tobias weds hottie,
            kills demon, takes money home to dad, and, thanks to the angel, cures dad's
            eyesight with some remedy involving a fish.

            I believe the Orthodox Bibles have a slightly different canon yet.

            Remember, the canon of the Bible wasn't set until hundreds of years after
            Jesus lived. Read the edition you're most comfortable with.

            Berni
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 30 , May 29, 2004
              Hey Berni,

              Thanks for the info.

              Tobit is a popular book for wedding readings. Is that where the
              expressions about "goose is cooked" come from then?

              Isn't Ecclesiasticus also in there?

              I agree that we should read what we're most comfortable with -- but then
              again, how do we find our favorites of anything except by at some point
              trying them for the first time?

              Good morning, all,

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 30 , May 29, 2004
                On May 27, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

                > Don't bother with _The Da Vinci Code_ -- he lifted all his stuff from
                > _Holy
                > Blood, Holy Grail_, and DVC is very poorly written.

                THANK YOU for saying so! I just finished this recently, and could only
                slog through it because I love to pick apart conspiracy theories and
                unhistorical balderdash -- for fun! But the writing really is _awful_,
                full of howlers. Take this one for example, from early on:

                -----

                "Bezu Fache," the driver said. ... "We call him _le Taureau_."
                Langdon glanced over at him, wondering if every Frenchman had a
                mysterious animal epithet.
                "You call your captain _the Bull_?"
                The man arched his eyebrows. "Your French is better than you admit,
                Monsieur Langdon."
                _My French stinks_, Langdon though, _but my zodiac iconography is
                pretty good_. Taurus was always the bull.

                ------

                Well DUH! That's because taurus _means_ 'bull'! And so does this book.

                ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
                Ars longa, vita brevis.
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 30 , May 29, 2004
                  From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

                  > THANK YOU for saying so! I just finished this recently, and could only
                  > slog through it because I love to pick apart conspiracy theories and
                  > unhistorical balderdash -- for fun! But the writing really is _awful_,
                  > full of howlers.

                  My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
                  monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
                  place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
                  hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
                  the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

                  And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
                  doesn't have any monks.

                  I also laughed at the romance novel-type description of the hero and a
                  similar description of the police chief. It was so gushing and florid.
                  Brown doesn't spend nearly as much oomph discussing the physical attributes
                  of the main female character -- and her appearance is actually connected to
                  the plot!

                  It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book or a contender for what to read
                  from when people get tired of "The Eye of Argon." (Lizzie, that's an
                  infamous short story that is commonly read late at night at science fiction
                  conventions. It's very bad -- overloaded with cliches and typos. The
                  schtick is that a person reads until they start laughing and then it's
                  passed to the next person and so on.)

                  Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
                  fantasies until you laugh.

                  Berni
                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 29, 2004
                    On May 29, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Berni Phillips wrote:

                    > It's definitely a toss-against-the-wall book

                    Amen.

                    One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
                    thusly:

                    _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
                    orgies in front of admiring audiences.

                    My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
                    appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
                    of anonymous sex....
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                      <<One critic aptly and succinctly expressed the argument of the book
                      thusly:

                      _If_ Jesus married Mary Magdalene _then_ we should all engage in ritual
                      orgies in front of admiring audiences.

                      My suspicion is that this is the sort of argument advanced by and
                      appealing primarily to those who are already big fans of lots and lots
                      of anonymous sex....

                      *disappointed* That's it? That's the theme of the book? I'm a big fan of
                      sex, actually, but not the mega-anonymous kind. I like the Jesus-Mary
                      Magdalene theme, but more in a mystical-romance kind of treatment.

                      I'll chuck this book in the same mental pile as Cunningham's _Daughter of
                      the Shining Isles_, and keep looking.

                      As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
                      a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
                      for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
                      sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
                      funny. I guess I'm a mush...

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • juliet@firinn.org
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                        On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:33:09PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                        > As for "Eye of Argon," I've never heard of it. Is it one of those "It was
                        > a dark and stormy night" sort of tales? I do want to find those. But as
                        > for reading silly stuff out loud and making fun of it... I dunno...
                        > sometimes one person's painfully awful is another person's entertainingly
                        > funny. I guess I'm a mush...

                        Here's the Eye of Argon. Please don't read it with a beverage in hand.
                        http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Misc/Eye_Of_The_Argon

                        Julie
                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                          We need to do that in Ann Arbor this summer!!

                          Diamond Proudbrook

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 30, 2004
                            At 07:31 PM 5/29/2004 -0700, Berni Phillips wrote:

                            >My favorite is the original murder set-up. The murderer is a hulking albino
                            >monk. Now, those are three words that never should go together in the first
                            >place -- I started out thinking the book was a comedy. If you're hiring a
                            >hit man, wouldn't it be a better idea to hire someone who can blend in with
                            >the crowd than a ... hulking ... albino ... monk?

                            Wasn't there a hulking albino monk in _The Princess Bride_? Now there's a
                            great comedic fantasy for you.

                            >And they have him be a member of Opus Dei -- which is for lay people. It
                            >doesn't have any monks.

                            There's also a TV show called _Monk_ that doesn't have any monks in it
                            either. Talk about misleading.

                            >Hey, that would be a good Mythcon activity -- reading from really bad
                            >fantasies until you laugh.

                            Or watching really bad fantasy movies until you laugh. We did that one
                            last year.

                            - David Bratman