Re: Mythago Wood RE: [mythsoc] Stewardship vs Dominion and otherlanguagequestions

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2004
      I must have missed something--but "nature guardians" in contemporary
      fantasy? I can think of a couple depending on what you mean by contemporary.

      Authors still living, or living into the 1960s or so? That work for
      people? I know there are many. Specifics elude me, and of course my books
      are still in boxes. I can get to them now, at least, mostly. But it's not
      the same as having them on shelves to scan. Whine, whine.

      Maybe I will have to dig later, when I find something to occupy the kids.
      Four days, no school, whee.

      But Robert Jordan (UGH!!!!!!!) in the first book mimics Tolkien with a
      "Green Man" in the north. And Stephen Donaldson's forestals. These are both
      now over 10 years old. I can think of some others from the 70s, but that
      would probably be stretching contemporary a bit. >>

      lol I like a person with an opinion. Why don't you like Robert Jordan?
      lol I haven't read any of his work yet myself. Donaldson's forestals are
      in what? The UrLord books, whatever they are called again? It's been a
      long time since I've read them, and even if more are coming out I'm not
      rushing to reread them.

      I don't see that having a Green Man is mimicking Tolkien, unless the
      details pan out to be like Tom Bombadil. In fact, it almost seems to me
      that Tolkien went to some pains to have Bombadil, consciously or not, NOT
      be a vegetation deity. He's a real character, Bombadil is. Or did you
      mean Fangorn? Either way, I see them as different from generic Green Men,
      but I could be completely wrong. It's happened.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia