Re: Mythago Wood RE: [mythsoc] Stewardship vs Dominion and other languagequestions

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2004
      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      > SO What did you think of _Mythago Wood_? I read it some years ago. I
      > found it a little disturbing, but unique. Strange. I think there is a
      > sequel.

      I rather think there are two, actually, but the only one I
      remember (and read) is the first one, LAVONDYSS.

      > It also appeals to my sexist dichotomy theory. It was recommended by a guy
      > friend, who almost drooled over it. There have been a number of instances
      > where our (his and my) opinions on books have been all too easy to classify
      > in a sexist manner.

      That's interesting, because from what I recall of LAVONDYSS (it's
      been quite a while since I read it), it has a female protagonist
      and I suppose is the woman's "journey inward" in the same way
      that MYTHAGO WOOD is the male's. Can anybody who's read it more
      recently or more frequently than I have confirm or deny?

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2004
        I recently read "Mythago Wood," which represents such wild places as a
        refuge for the great heroes and horrors of Mankinds collective unconcious
        past. I'm searching my brain but can't remember anything which fetures
        speciffically the "nature guardians" in a contemporary fantasy book. If
        anybody else can I'd be appreciative. >>

        Maybe after tea. I'm sure someone else can. In books, movies and on TV.
        OH! Sheri S. Tepper's _Gibbon's Decline and Fall_ I think it was called.
        No grove there though. I know they are out there. Way too familiar, and I
        didn't make it through Frazer. Those multiple citations were distracting
        and not helpful.

        You know where we could look today? Joseph Campbell.

        SO What did you think of _Mythago Wood_? I read it some years ago. I
        found it a little disturbing, but unique. Strange. I think there is a
        sequel.

        It also appeals to my sexist dichotomy theory. It was recommended by a guy
        friend, who almost drooled over it. There have been a number of instances
        where our (his and my) opinions on books have been all too easy to classify
        in a sexist manner.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2004
          I must have missed something--but "nature guardians" in contemporary fantasy? I can think of a couple depending on what you mean by contemporary.

          But Robert Jordan (UGH!!!!!!!) in the first book mimics Tolkien with a "Green Man" in the north. And Stephen Donaldson's forestals. These are both now over 10 years old. I can think of some others from the 70s, but that would probably be stretching contemporary a bit.

          Larry Swain

          > I recently read "Mythago Wood," which represents such wild places as a
          > refuge for the great heroes and horrors of Mankinds collective unconcious
          > past. I'm searching my brain but can't remember anything which fetures
          > speciffically the "nature guardians" in a contemporary fantasy book. If
          > anybody else can I'd be appreciative. >>
          >
          > Maybe after tea. I'm sure someone else can. In books, movies and on TV.
          > OH! Sheri S. Tepper's _Gibbon's Decline and Fall_ I think it was called.
          > No grove there though. I know they are out there. Way too familiar, and I
          > didn't make it through Frazer. Those multiple citations were distracting
          > and not helpful.
          >
          > You know where we could look today? Joseph Campbell.
          >

          > SO What did you think of _Mythago Wood_? I read it some years ago. I
          > found it a little disturbing, but unique. Strange. I think there is a
          > sequel.
          >
          > It also appeals to my sexist dichotomy theory. It was recommended by a guy
          > friend, who almost drooled over it. There have been a number of instances
          > where our (his and my) opinions on books have been all too easy to classify
          > in a sexist manner.
          >

          > Lizzie
          >
          > Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          > lizziewriter@...