Stewardship vs Dominion and other language questions

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27 12:37 PM
      OK Bible scholars and word fiends, I have another thought. It was
      perfectly clear as I drove to the gym, but now it's kind of muddled.

      One of the ways I enjoy mythopoeic type literature is in the echoes of
      familiar religious texts in fiction. It seems to bring a certain kind of
      reality to the fantasy, perhaps. For me, familiar texts would include the
      Revised Standard Version (RSV) of the Bible, as well as the Books of Common
      Prayer of the Episcopal Church, there are I think two from the 20th century
      that would fall in this category, as well as some Lutheran texts. Now,
      that is just my own little world. Others will have different keys.

      So my question, near as I can figure, starts out as something like.... in
      some creation accounts, mankind is given stewardship over the earth and its
      creatures. That means a positive sort of care-taking, I think. It is
      meant to be a balance, not a tyranny. Sort of like the perfect balance of
      cherish/obey in some wedding vows, or, oops, I forgot my other example.

      I was wondering what some of the other popular texts used here. I am
      wondering if "dominion" comes up sometimes as a variant for "stewardship".
      IMO "dominion" is more about rulership.

      Anyway, I would like to hear thoughts on this wider subject as well,
      because there are sooo many translations of sacred texts, and it would seem
      to me that that would engender an ever wider pool of possible mythopoeic
      literature.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 1:01 PM
        Item:

        Of six references to the word "dominion" in Blackwelder's _Tolkien
        Thesaurus_, two are to Sauron having dominion, one to the One Ring's
        dominion over the Three, one to Old Man Willow's dominion of the forest,
        and one to Galadriel assuring Gimli that "gold shall have no dominion" over
        him.

        That does put a rather sinister cast, doesn't it, over the sixth reference,
        which is to the forthcoming Dominion of Men?

        Don't even ask about the related "domination", clearly a wholly evil
        concept in this context.

        - David Bratman