Re: [mythsoc] The Sword of Welleran

  • Alisson Veldhuis
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26 3:36 PM
      >The short answer to your question is "Yes, there are two different books
      >with the same name." Or close to it.

      Thank you so much for your help!

      >_The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories_ (note exact title) was first
      >published in 1908 and is the one with the stores you list in your last
      >sentence.
      >
      >_The Sword of Welleran and Other Tales of Enchantment_ was published in the
      >US only in 1954, and overlaps only with the other (I think) with the two
      >stories "The Sword of Welleran" and "The Kith of the Elf-folk" (both among
      >Dunsany's very best).
      >
      >It sounds like you're describing them as being the other way around, and
      >that I can't explain.

      Well, what I meant was that the book that I have on audio contains those
      four stories which I mentioned. The hard copy that I have "The Sword of
      Welleran and other Tales of Enchantment" does not. I would like to find
      those stories which I have on audio on a hard copy.

      >As for getting a copy: There may be library copies of the original book or
      >its reprints, but they'd be few, and likely to be in rare-book rooms. To
      >purchase a copy of the stories, there is no edition of the original book in
      >print, but there are other Dunsany reprint collections, a few of which are
      >in print. (These are less likely to be in libraries.) Most of these
      >collections are mix-and-match, but there is one that reprints the full text
      >of six Dunsany collections, including the original _Sword of Welleran and
      >Other Stories_.

      >This omnibus is titled _Time and the Gods_. Unfortunately that is also the
      >name of one of the collections in it, so again there's a possibility of
      >confusion! The _Time and the Gods_ you want was published in 2000 by
      >Millennium in the UK, as vol. 2 in their "Fantasy Masterworks" series.
      >It's still in print there, but I believe has not been published in the US.
      >
      >- David Bratman

      Thank you for your direction. It is so confusing that there are two books
      with the same title! I know my used bookstore in town does not have Lord
      Dunsany, but perhaps I can search elsewhere.

      A. R. Veldhuis

      Premium! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/
    • misscubbidge
      Message 2 of 16 , May 26 4:43 PM
        Just FYI, Dover has a 2003 unabridged republication of two Lord
        Dunsany story collections bound together ("The Book of Wonder"
        and "Tales of Wonder") under the title "Wonder Tales." It contains
        more nifty Dunsany stories, one of my favorites being "The Hoard of
        the Gibbelins."

        Anne
        acp@...

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Nerdanel" <aveldhu@h...> wrote:
        > I have a question that is off topic.
        >
        > I have an audio version of Lord Dunsany's book "The Sword of
        Welleran
        > and other tales of Enchantment." I went to the library to find a
        hard
        > copy of this book, and ordered a book by this title. But when I got
        > the book, it only had two of the same stories in it: "The Sword of
        > Welleran" and "The Kith of the Elf-folk." Are there two different
        > books of short stories by Lord Dunsany of the same name? I would
        like
        > the find a hard copy of the book I have on tape. It contains such
        > stories as "The Fall of Babbulkund," The Fortress Unvanquishable,
        > Save for Sacnoth," "The Lord of Cities," and "The Doom of La
        > Traviata."
        >
        > Thank you for your help,
        >
        > A.R. Veldhuis
      • Alisson Veldhuis
        Message 3 of 16 , May 26 6:53 PM
          Thank you very much, Anne. Do you know where I could find that book?

          A. R. Veldhuis

          Message 4 of 16 , May 26 7:20 PM
            I suggest that you order _Time and the Gods_ (the Millennium paperback) from
            the U.K. (using Amazon U.K. or some such). That volume's got over 100 Dunsany
            fantasy short stories for just 6 pounds and 99 pence. You can't do better
            than that for a Dunsany collection.

          • misscubbidge
            Message 5 of 16 , May 27 8:06 AM
              I got it via Amazon.com. Just search on Dunsany and you'll see all
              kinds of goodies.

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Alisson Veldhuis" <aveldhu@h...>

              Message 6 of 16 , May 27 9:54 AM
                Thank you very much. I shall look for it.

                A.R. Veldhuis

                >From: WendellWag@...
                >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Sword of Welleran
                >Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:20:30 EDT
                >
                >I suggest that you order _Time and the Gods_ (the Millennium paperback)
                >from
                >the U.K. (using Amazon U.K. or some such). That volume's got over 100
                >Dunsany
                >fantasy short stories for just 6 pounds and 99 pence. You can't do better
                >than that for a Dunsany collection.
                >
                >Wendell Wagner

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 16 , May 27 9:55 AM
                  >There are also Wildside Press reprints of some of the original Dunsany
                  >collections. I have not seen any of these, even in specialty stores,
                  >though they can be ordered. They do not include _The Sword of Welleran_,
                  >so as both Wendell and I have said, the best bet for someone seeking that
                  >collection - or for anyone who wants the most of Dunsany's high fantasy in
                  >one volume - is to get the Millennium omnibus _Time and the Gods_.

                  Wildside is close to, if not actually, a POD (print on demand) publisher. And they aren't terribly bright at
                  marketing either. I'd also guess that they don't discount to the trade so bookstores have little icentive
                  to order from them unless it's a special order for a customer.
                • Alisson Veldhuis
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 27 9:56 AM
                    >There are, as I mentioned, a number of mix-and-match Dunsany collections
                    >around. That's one easily currently found in US bookstores. Another is a
                    >new Penguin Classics collection, edited by S.T. Joshi, called _In the Land
                    >of Time and Other Fantasy Tales_ ("woah-woah-woah, In the Land of Time" -
                    >sorry) This one has both "The Sword of Welleran" and "The Kith of the
                    >Elf-Folk", and my two favorite late Dunsany stories, postdating his
                    >high-fantasy period, "Our Distant Cousins" and "The Pirate of the Round
                    >Pond".
                    >
                    >There are also Wildside Press reprints of some of the original Dunsany
                    >collections. I have not seen any of these, even in specialty stores,
                    >though they can be ordered. They do not include _The Sword of Welleran_,
                    >so as both Wendell and I have said, the best bet for someone seeking that
                    >collection - or for anyone who wants the most of Dunsany's high fantasy in
                    >one volume - is to get the Millennium omnibus _Time and the Gods_.
                    >
                    >- David Bratman

                    Thank you, David. I will search for Time and the Gods. Perhaps on Amazon UK.

                    A.R. Veldhuis

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 27 12:13 PM
                      At 05:01 PM 5/26/2004 +0000, Nerdanel wrote:
                      >I have a question that is off topic.

                      Not off-topic at all. Dunsany is one of the most mythopoeic authors out there.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 27 1:31 PM
                        I did, and found the book that I have now, but not the one that I wanted,

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 27 6:32 PM
                          Thank you. I suppose I misunderstood.

                          >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                          >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Re: The Sword of Welleran
                          >Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:28:13 -0700
                          >
                          >The book that you want is contained, as has been stated, within an omnibus
                          >titled _Time of the Gods_ (same title as one of the other collections
                          >within it, so don't be confused).
                          >
                          >This omnibus is in print, as has been stated, in the UK. It may therefore
                          >be found, as has been stated, on amazon.co.uk or other British bookseller
                          >of your choice. It is not in print in the US, as has been stated, so it
                          >won't be found on amazon.com.
                          >
                          >- David Bratman
                          >

                          >At 03:31 PM 5/27/2004 -0500, Alisson Veldhuis wrote:
                          > >I did, and found the book that I have now, but not the one that I wanted,
                          > >"The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories."
                          > >

                          > >>From: "misscubbidge" <acp@...>
                          > >>To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                          > >>Subject: [mythsoc] Re: The Sword of Welleran
                          > >>Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:06:44 -0000
                          > >>
                          > >>I got it via Amazon.com. Just search on Dunsany and you'll see all
                          > >>kinds of goodies.
                          > >>
                          > >>--- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Alisson Veldhuis" <aveldhu@h...>

                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 27 6:52 PM
                            I think if we replace the "as has been stated"s with "STOP"s it would read
                            just as well, and have a neat vintage ring too.

                            ducking now,

                            Lizzie

                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 28 8:57 AM

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 28 2:28 PM

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 28 2:29 PM
                                  Sorry, miswrote myself. _Time and the Gods_, not _of_.