Silmarien or Silmariën?

  • Nessime
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2004
      In the Tale of Years in "The Lord of the Rings" the spelling is
      given as "Silmariën" (and that is the spelling Foster uses in his
      book), yet in "The Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales" the name is
      spelled "Silmarien" (without the umlaut).

      Which is correct?

      TIA

      Julia
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2004
        The diaeresis (umlaut) is just an orthographic convention used by
        Tolkien in _The Lord of the Rings_ to indicate to the English reader
        that the vowel it marks is to be pronounced, not silent or
        diphthongized. Tolkien often did not bother using it in other writings.
        So either spelling is correct.

        Carl

        On May 26, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Nessime wrote:

        > In the Tale of Years in "The Lord of the Rings" the spelling is
        > given as "Silmariën" (and that is the spelling Foster uses in his
        > book), yet in "The Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales" the name is
        > spelled "Silmarien" (without the umlaut).
        >
        > Which is correct?
      • Nessime
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2004
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@e...>
          wrote:
          > The diaeresis (umlaut) is just an orthographic convention used by
          > Tolkien in _The Lord of the Rings_ to indicate to the English
          reader
          > that the vowel it marks is to be pronounced, not silent or
          > diphthongized. Tolkien often did not bother using it in other
          writings.
          > So either spelling is correct.
          >
          > Carl

          Thank you. I suspected such might be the case, but wanted
          confirmation from someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

          Julia