Re: Re: [mythsoc] Le Guin on Wangerin

    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2004
      At 12:56 PM 5/21/2004 -0400, alexeik@... wrote:

      >I can easily put myself in the position of someone who,
      >disappointed that a book with such an evocative title is
      >not in fact a story about a Dun Cow, becomes inspired to
      >create a book that *is*.

      But it isn't, not really. It's about the rooster and the serpent. The dun
      cow sort of lurks somewhere. Le Guin writes: "There is an allegorical dun
      cow, but you can write a book with a whale in it without calling it _Moby
      Dick_."

      Of course, John Rateliff in his "Classics of Fantasy" essay was moved to
      explain that "the title _Watership Down_ refers not to some aquatic
      disaster but to the place where the story takes place." But it's not as if
      it were previously a well-known place name, or the title of another book.

      - David Bratman