[mythsoc] Duncton Woods (was Le Guin on Wangerin)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2004
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Elizabeth Apgar Triano lizziewriter@...
      Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:23:53 -0400
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Le Guin on Wangerin

      [snip]

      << I wonder what she [Le Guin] would have to say about the Duncton books.
      Aside from when the MESSAGE gets a bit overbearing, with the Holy Mole bits
      and all, I think those were smashingly original and very well placed in
      geography as well. >>

      Message can get overbearing in secular books, too; it's just less
      apparent, because secularity is in the air we breathe; religious matters
      have a definite sense of difference. I still remember reading the first
      *Duncton Woods* book with great pleasure, and found the sequel years later
      (not even knowing there was a sequel). Must get both out and read them.
      Perhaps a good summer reading project. ---djb

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2004
        Message can get overbearing in secular books, too; it's just less
        apparent, because secularity is in the air we breathe; religious matters
        have a definite sense of difference. I still remember reading the first
        *Duncton Woods* book with great pleasure, and found the sequel years later
        (not even knowing there was a sequel). Must get both out and read them.
        Perhaps a good summer reading project. ---djb >>

        I think there is more than just the one sequel. If I find mine I will list
        them.

        And yes, there is programming everywhere. Some stuff is easier to discern
        and thus resist than other stuff. I suspect grousing about American (or
        any) culture isn't a good hobbyhorse to ride here though. ;-)

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia