Re: [mythsoc] Padraig (was more on the vanishing point pen)

    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2004
      At 08:59 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      >I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
      >also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
      >OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.
      >
      >Wasn't there a sequel?

      The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

      - DB
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2004
        Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
        magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
        use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
        everyone.
        Christine
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2004
          At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
          >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
          >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
          >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
          >everyone.

          His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
          suit everyone either.

          - DB
        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2004
            We Lutherans as a gross generality are so little given to drama or affect
            that we rather prize those who can burst out of the Scandinavian shell. I
            don't care for him myself, but then I dislike people who I feel are trying
            to manipulate my emotions, which I think he does. Charles Williams uses the
            language in a very uncommon, even dramatic, way, but I never feel that he is
            trying to manipulate me.
            Christine

            > At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
            > >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
            > >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste.
            His
            > >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't
            suit
            > >everyone.
            >
            > His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
            > suit everyone either.
            >
            > - DB

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2004
              The Book of the Over-Dun Cow. >>

              owwwwwwwwww

              points for you, boyo

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                - DB

                *snerk*
                Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")
                but never reading them a second time, which says something about them.

                Janet

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                  From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                  >> The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                  > Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                  > though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")

                  Oh, is that what the cows were saying?

                  Mooooooving on,
                  Berni
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 20, 2004
                    That's what Mundi Canis says when trapped in Hell. Over and over again,
                    IIRC. Actually, when my dogs howl at sirens, that's kind of how it
                    sounds.

                    Janet