Re: [mythsoc] Padraig (was more on the vanishing point pen)

    Message 1 of 12 , May 18 6:52 PM
      At 08:59 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      >I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
      >also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
      >OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.
      >
      >Wasn't there a sequel?

      The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

      - DB
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18 7:27 PM
        Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
        magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
        use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
        everyone.
        Christine
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18 7:30 PM
          At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
          >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
          >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
          >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
          >everyone.

          His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
          suit everyone either.

          - DB
        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18 7:53 PM
            We Lutherans as a gross generality are so little given to drama or affect
            that we rather prize those who can burst out of the Scandinavian shell. I
            don't care for him myself, but then I dislike people who I feel are trying
            to manipulate my emotions, which I think he does. Charles Williams uses the
            language in a very uncommon, even dramatic, way, but I never feel that he is
            trying to manipulate me.
            Christine

            > At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
            > >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
            > >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste.
            His
            > >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't
            suit
            > >everyone.
            >
            > His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
            > suit everyone either.
            >
            > - DB

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19 4:55 AM
              The Book of the Over-Dun Cow. >>

              owwwwwwwwww

              points for you, boyo

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 12 , May 19 5:58 AM
                The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                - DB

                *snerk*
                Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")
                but never reading them a second time, which says something about them.

                Janet

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 12 , May 19 5:55 PM
                  From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                  >> The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                  > Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                  > though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")

                  Oh, is that what the cows were saying?

                  Mooooooving on,
                  Berni
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 20 5:57 AM
                    That's what Mundi Canis says when trapped in Hell. Over and over again,
                    IIRC. Actually, when my dogs howl at sirens, that's kind of how it
                    sounds.

                    Janet