Re: [mythsoc] Padraig (was more on the vanishing point pen)

    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2004
      Ursula Le Guin eviscerated his "Book of the Dun Cow" in a review in her
      "Dancing at the Edge of the World." I found it rather like proto-Orson
      Scott C**d myself.

      - DB

      At 02:29 PM 5/18/2004 -0500, Stolzi wrote:
      >I just tried to read Walter Wangerin's ST. JULIAN but really couldn't stick
      >it even though some reviews described it as "mythic."
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2004
        Ursula Le Guin eviscerated his "Book of the Dun Cow" in a review in her
        "Dancing at the Edge of the World." I found it rather like proto-Orson
        Scott C**d myself. >>

        I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
        also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
        OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.

        Wasn't there a sequel?

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2004
          At 08:59 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          >I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
          >also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
          >OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.
          >
          >Wasn't there a sequel?

          The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

          - DB
        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2004
            Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
            magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
            use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
            everyone.
            Christine

            Message 5 of 12 , May 18, 2004
              At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
              >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
              >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
              >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
              >everyone.

              His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
              suit everyone either.

              - DB
            • Christine Howlett
              Message 6 of 12 , May 18, 2004
                We Lutherans as a gross generality are so little given to drama or affect
                that we rather prize those who can burst out of the Scandinavian shell. I
                don't care for him myself, but then I dislike people who I feel are trying
                to manipulate my emotions, which I think he does. Charles Williams uses the
                language in a very uncommon, even dramatic, way, but I never feel that he is
                trying to manipulate me.
                Christine

                > At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
                > >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
                > >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste.
                His
                > >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't
                suit
                > >everyone.
                >
                > His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
                > suit everyone either.
                >
                > - DB

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                  The Book of the Over-Dun Cow. >>

                  owwwwwwwwww

                  points for you, boyo

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                    The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                    - DB

                    *snerk*
                    Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                    though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")
                    but never reading them a second time, which says something about them.

                    Janet

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                      >> The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                      > Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                      > though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")

                      Oh, is that what the cows were saying?

                      Mooooooving on,
                      Berni
                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 20, 2004
                        That's what Mundi Canis says when trapped in Hell. Over and over again,
                        IIRC. Actually, when my dogs howl at sirens, that's kind of how it
                        sounds.

                        Janet