[mythsoc] Padraig (was more on the vanishing point pen)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2004
      Yes; calleed *Patrick, Son of Ireland.* ---djb

      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2004
        I just tried to read Walter Wangerin's ST. JULIAN but really couldn't stick it even though some reviews described it as "mythic."

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2004
          Ursula Le Guin eviscerated his "Book of the Dun Cow" in a review in her
          "Dancing at the Edge of the World." I found it rather like proto-Orson
          Scott C**d myself.

          - DB

          At 02:29 PM 5/18/2004 -0500, Stolzi wrote:
          >I just tried to read Walter Wangerin's ST. JULIAN but really couldn't stick
          >it even though some reviews described it as "mythic."
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2004
            Ursula Le Guin eviscerated his "Book of the Dun Cow" in a review in her
            "Dancing at the Edge of the World." I found it rather like proto-Orson
            Scott C**d myself. >>

            I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
            also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
            OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.

            Wasn't there a sequel?

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            Message 5 of 12 , May 18, 2004
              At 08:59 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
              >I haven't gotten to that essay yet (Dancing is on my bedside shelf) but I
              >also read Dun Cow years ago and rather liked it. Not sure I've read enough
              >OSC to relate it to him, but it definitely had a unique quasi-mythic feel.
              >
              >Wasn't there a sequel?

              The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

              - DB
            • Christine Howlett
              Message 6 of 12 , May 18, 2004
                Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
                magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
                use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
                everyone.
                Christine

                Message 7 of 12 , May 18, 2004
                  At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
                  >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
                  >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste. His
                  >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't suit
                  >everyone.

                  His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
                  suit everyone either.

                  - DB
                • Christine Howlett
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 18, 2004
                    We Lutherans as a gross generality are so little given to drama or affect
                    that we rather prize those who can burst out of the Scandinavian shell. I
                    don't care for him myself, but then I dislike people who I feel are trying
                    to manipulate my emotions, which I think he does. Charles Williams uses the
                    language in a very uncommon, even dramatic, way, but I never feel that he is
                    trying to manipulate me.
                    Christine

                    > At 10:27 PM 5/18/2004 -0400, Christine Howlett wrote:
                    > >Mr. Wangerin is a fellow Lutheran who wrote a column in the Lutheran
                    > >magazine for quite some years. I think he's rather an acquired taste.
                    His
                    > >use of English is a little dramatic (affected?) and certainly doesn't
                    suit
                    > >everyone.
                    >
                    > His manner of thinking is also more than a little affected, and doesn't
                    > suit everyone either.
                    >
                    > - DB

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                      The Book of the Over-Dun Cow. >>

                      owwwwwwwwww

                      points for you, boyo

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                        The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                        - DB

                        *snerk*
                        Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                        though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")
                        but never reading them a second time, which says something about them.

                        Janet

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 19, 2004
                          From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                          >> The Book of the Over-Dun Cow.

                          > Actually, The Book of Sorrows. I remember reading and liking them,
                          > though they were a bit overdone in places ("Marooooned! Maroooooooned!")

                          Oh, is that what the cows were saying?

                          Mooooooving on,
                          Berni
                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 20, 2004
                            That's what Mundi Canis says when trapped in Hell. Over and over again,
                            IIRC. Actually, when my dogs howl at sirens, that's kind of how it
                            sounds.

                            Janet