Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 17 , May 10, 2004
      I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
      Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
      only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
      who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
      a cool name, too.

      Boadicea rocks.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • juliet@firinn.org
      Message 2 of 17 , May 10, 2004
        On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
        > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
        > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
        > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
        > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
        > a cool name, too.

        The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
        Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
        her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
        unpleasant story.

        Julie
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 17 , May 10, 2004
          At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
          cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
          "Boadi-cow", you see.

          And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
          her...
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 17 , May 10, 2004
            juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
            > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
            > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
            > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
            > unpleasant story.

            Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
            spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
            38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
            Ruth 4).

            "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
            --Logan Pearsall Smith
            Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 17 , May 12, 2004
              OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

              At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
              cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
              "Boadi-cow", you see.

              And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
              her...

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .