Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 17 , May 10, 2004
      Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

      One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 17 , May 10, 2004
        I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
        Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
        only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
        who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
        a cool name, too.

        Boadicea rocks.

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 17 , May 10, 2004
          On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
          > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
          > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
          > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
          > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
          > a cool name, too.

          The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
          Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
          her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
          unpleasant story.

          Julie
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 17 , May 10, 2004
            At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
            cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
            "Boadi-cow", you see.

            And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
            her...
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 17 , May 10, 2004
              juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
              > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
              > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
              > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
              > unpleasant story.

              Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
              spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
              38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
              Ruth 4).

              "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
              --Logan Pearsall Smith
              Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 17 , May 12, 2004
                OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                "Boadi-cow", you see.

                And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                her...

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .