Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 8, 2004
      Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
      Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
      to know the historical source as well.

      Thanks!
      Anne

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 17 , May 10, 2004
        Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

        http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

        One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

        Diamond Proudbrook
        Message 3 of 17 , May 10, 2004
          I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
          Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
          only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
          who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
          a cool name, too.

          Boadicea rocks.

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 17 , May 10, 2004
            On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
            > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
            > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
            > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
            > a cool name, too.

            The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
            Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
            her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
            unpleasant story.

            Julie
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 17 , May 10, 2004
              At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
              cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
              "Boadi-cow", you see.

              And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
              her...
            • Matthew Winslow
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                > unpleasant story.

                Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                Ruth 4).

                "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                --Logan Pearsall Smith
                Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 17 , May 12, 2004
                  OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                  At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                  cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                  "Boadi-cow", you see.

                  And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                  her...

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .