Re: Re: Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 8 11:52 AM
      In a message dated 5/7/4 9:35:45 PM, Diamond wrote:

      <<Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin.
      Anyway, thanks for the link!

      She *is*, actually, in the literary version (as opposed to the folk epic).
      Alexei
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8 3:35 PM
        Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
        Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
        to know the historical source as well.

        Thanks!
        Anne

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 17 , May 10 11:03 AM
          Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

          http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

          One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

          Diamond Proudbrook
          Message 4 of 17 , May 10 11:37 AM
            I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
            Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
            only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
            who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
            a cool name, too.

            Boadicea rocks.

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • juliet@firinn.org
            Message 5 of 17 , May 10 12:04 PM
              On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
              > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
              > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
              > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
              > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
              > a cool name, too.

              The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
              Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
              her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
              unpleasant story.

              Julie
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10 12:43 PM
                At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                "Boadi-cow", you see.

                And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                her...
              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10 1:50 PM
                  juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                  > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                  > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                  > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                  > unpleasant story.

                  Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                  spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                  38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                  Ruth 4).

                  "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                  --Logan Pearsall Smith
                  Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 12 8:00 AM
                    OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                    At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                    cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                    "Boadi-cow", you see.

                    And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                    her...

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail2web.com/ .