Re: Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2004
      >In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:
      >
      ><<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
      >
      >Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
      >
      >be available on the Web.

      http://sangha.net/countries/Georgia/shota.htm
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7, 2004
        Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin. Anyway, thanks for the link!

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , May 8, 2004
          In a message dated 5/7/4 9:35:45 PM, Diamond wrote:

          <<Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin.
          Anyway, thanks for the link!

          She *is*, actually, in the literary version (as opposed to the folk epic).
          Alexei
        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8, 2004
            Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
            Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
            to know the historical source as well.

            Thanks!
            Anne

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 17 , May 10, 2004
              Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

              http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

              One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

              Diamond Proudbrook
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                a cool name, too.

                Boadicea rocks.

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
              • juliet@firinn.org
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                  On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                  > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                  > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                  > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                  > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                  > a cool name, too.

                  The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                  Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                  her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                  unpleasant story.

                  Julie
                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                    At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                    cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                    "Boadi-cow", you see.

                    And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                    her...
                  • Matthew Winslow
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                      juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                      > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                      > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                      > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                      > unpleasant story.

                      Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                      spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                      38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                      Ruth 4).

                      "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                      --Logan Pearsall Smith
                      Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 12, 2004
                        OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                        At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                        cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                        "Boadi-cow", you see.

                        And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                        her...

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail2web.com/ .