Re: Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7 12:42 PM
      In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:

      <<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen

      Tamara, but it doesn't seem to

      be available on the Web.

      It's really more about the hero of the title than about Queen Tamara,
      although it's supposed to take place during her reign. My main recollection of it is
      that the hero spends an enormous amount of time weeping.
      Alexei
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7 12:54 PM
        >In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:
        >
        ><<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
        >
        >Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
        >
        >be available on the Web.

        http://sangha.net/countries/Georgia/shota.htm
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7 1:59 PM
          Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin. Anyway, thanks for the link!

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8 11:52 AM
            In a message dated 5/7/4 9:35:45 PM, Diamond wrote:

            <<Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin.
            Anyway, thanks for the link!

            She *is*, actually, in the literary version (as opposed to the folk epic).
            Alexei
          • jamcconney@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8 3:35 PM
              Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
              Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
              to know the historical source as well.

              Thanks!
              Anne

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10 11:03 AM
                Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

                http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

                One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

                Diamond Proudbrook
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10 11:37 AM
                  I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                  Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                  only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                  who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                  a cool name, too.

                  Boadicea rocks.

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • juliet@firinn.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10 12:04 PM
                    On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                    > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                    > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                    > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                    > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                    > a cool name, too.

                    The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                    Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                    her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                    unpleasant story.

                    Julie
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10 12:43 PM
                      At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                      cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                      "Boadi-cow", you see.

                      And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                      her...
                    • Matthew Winslow
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10 1:50 PM
                        juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                        > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                        > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                        > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                        > unpleasant story.

                        Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                        spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                        38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                        Ruth 4).

                        "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                        --Logan Pearsall Smith
                        Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 12 8:00 AM
                          OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                          At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                          cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                          "Boadi-cow", you see.

                          And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                          her...

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://mail2web.com/ .