Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2004
      I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
      Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
      be available on the Web.

      One could also mention Cecelia Holland's novel THE ANGEL AND THE SWORD which
      supposedly comes from a tale of a Spanish princess who fought disguised as a
      knight in the days of the Viking invasions of Europe. i reviewed it a year
      or two back for MYTHPRINT.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7, 2004
        In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:

        <<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen

        Tamara, but it doesn't seem to

        be available on the Web.

        It's really more about the hero of the title than about Queen Tamara,
        although it's supposed to take place during her reign. My main recollection of it is
        that the hero spends an enormous amount of time weeping.
        Alexei
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7, 2004
          >In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:
          >
          ><<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
          >
          >Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
          >
          >be available on the Web.

          http://sangha.net/countries/Georgia/shota.htm
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 17 , May 7, 2004
            Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin. Anyway, thanks for the link!

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2004
              In a message dated 5/7/4 9:35:45 PM, Diamond wrote:

              <<Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin.
              Anyway, thanks for the link!

              She *is*, actually, in the literary version (as opposed to the folk epic).
              Alexei
            • jamcconney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , May 8, 2004
                Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
                Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
                to know the historical source as well.

                Thanks!
                Anne

              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                  Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

                  http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

                  One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

                  Diamond Proudbrook
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                    I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                    Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                    only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                    who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                    a cool name, too.

                    Boadicea rocks.

                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • juliet@firinn.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                      On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                      > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                      > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                      > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                      > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                      > a cool name, too.

                      The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                      Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                      her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                      unpleasant story.

                      Julie
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                        At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                        cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                        "Boadi-cow", you see.

                        And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                        her...
                      • Matthew Winslow
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10, 2004
                          juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                          > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                          > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                          > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                          > unpleasant story.

                          Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                          spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                          38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                          Ruth 4).

                          "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                          --Logan Pearsall Smith
                          Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 12, 2004
                            OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb

                            At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                            cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                            "Boadi-cow", you see.

                            And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                            her...

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://mail2web.com/ .