Re: [mythsoc] the dragons have been launched

    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2004
      Congratulations; I'll look forward to it. We know that Tolkien read
      Dunsany's _Book of Wonder_ (there's a reference to "Chu-bu and Sheemish" in
      one of his letters), so he was probably familiar with Miss Cubbidge. Her
      story doesn't have much in common with that of Tolkien's Miss Biggins, in
      the poem "The Dragon's Visit", but I'm always reminded of each by the other
      anyway. In each, at least, the dragon is splendid.

      - David Bratman

      At 04:17 AM 5/6/2004 +0000, Anne Petty wrote:

      >Just wanted to say that the book I've been working on since "Tolkien
      >in the Land of Heroes" was finished has finally shipped. Title
      >is "Dragons of Fantasy: Scaly Villains & Heroes of Fantasy
      >Literature." It's a literary commentary on dragons in fantasy
      >fiction, with feature chapters on seven writers, leading off with our
      >favorite, the good professor Tolkien. I also managed to work in a
      >discussion of my favorite Dunsany story, "Miss Cubbidge and the
      >Dragon of Romance."
    • misscubbidge
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2004
        Thanks, David.

        "... so he was probably familiar with Miss Cubbidge. Her story
        doesn't have much in common with that of Tolkien's Miss Biggins, in
        the poem "The Dragon's Visit", but I'm always reminded of each by the
        other anyway. In each, at least, the dragon is splendid."

        Yes, exactly. *what he said* ;D

        Anne
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2004
          Oh, Anne, good luck! I will have to surf over and check this one out!

          thanks,

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia