the dragons have been launched

  • misscubbidge
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2004
      Hello all,

      Just wanted to say that the book I've been working on since "Tolkien
      in the Land of Heroes" was finished has finally shipped. Title
      is "Dragons of Fantasy: Scaly Villains & Heroes of Fantasy
      Literature." It's a literary commentary on dragons in fantasy
      fiction, with feature chapters on seven writers, leading off with our
      favorite, the good professor Tolkien. I also managed to work in a
      discussion of my favorite Dunsany story, "Miss Cubbidge and the
      Dragon of Romance."

      I won't go into the hassles and obstacles this book has had to endure
      (not enough time, too many pages, printing errors, lost files, more
      printing delays, etc. etc.). But finally it's done, and I can breathe
      a sigh of relief that it's safely launched.

      Cheers,
      Anne
      www.annepetty.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2004
        Congratulations; I'll look forward to it. We know that Tolkien read
        Dunsany's _Book of Wonder_ (there's a reference to "Chu-bu and Sheemish" in
        one of his letters), so he was probably familiar with Miss Cubbidge. Her
        story doesn't have much in common with that of Tolkien's Miss Biggins, in
        the poem "The Dragon's Visit", but I'm always reminded of each by the other
        anyway. In each, at least, the dragon is splendid.

        - David Bratman

        At 04:17 AM 5/6/2004 +0000, Anne Petty wrote:

        >Just wanted to say that the book I've been working on since "Tolkien
        >in the Land of Heroes" was finished has finally shipped. Title
        >is "Dragons of Fantasy: Scaly Villains & Heroes of Fantasy
        >Literature." It's a literary commentary on dragons in fantasy
        >fiction, with feature chapters on seven writers, leading off with our
        >favorite, the good professor Tolkien. I also managed to work in a
        >discussion of my favorite Dunsany story, "Miss Cubbidge and the
        >Dragon of Romance."
      • misscubbidge
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2004
          Thanks, David.

          "... so he was probably familiar with Miss Cubbidge. Her story
          doesn't have much in common with that of Tolkien's Miss Biggins, in
          the poem "The Dragon's Visit", but I'm always reminded of each by the
          other anyway. In each, at least, the dragon is splendid."

          Yes, exactly. *what he said* ;D

          Anne
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2004
            Oh, Anne, good luck! I will have to surf over and check this one out!

            thanks,

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia