Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 17 , May 4 8:30 PM
      Well, there are Amazons in mythology, and there are also the "shield-maidens" of the Viking invasions. There is also the wonderful story of the Langobards.....The warriors of this tribe asked Frea who would win the battle they were to fight the next day. Frea told them to get their women dressed as warriors, and told the women to wear their long hair like it was a beard and to stand outside Odin's window. When Odin woke up in the morning, he asked "Who are these "long beards", or Langobards. Frea said that those whom Odin had named should be given victory in battle, and so they were.

      Lest we forget, there is also good ol' queen Boudicaea, think I spelled that wrong and Matilda, the Empress who though she never went to battle, did command her troops on occasion.

      Those are a few I can think off of the top of my head.

      Larry Swain

      > >So, yes, there is Jeanne d'Arc (who met a sad fate) and Mu Lan (whose story
      > I never knew) but I feel as if there were others
      >
      > Well, there are all those Shakesperian comedy heroines--Rosalind, and
      > whats-her-name in Twelfth Night and so on who disguise themselves as boys. The
      > androgynous image seems to fascinate us. I once saw an entire book--can't remember
      > the title--devoted to modern films in which a women plays a man (notably Linda
      > Hunt in _Year of Living Dangerously_), or pretends/disguises herself as a man
      > (_Victor/Victoria_), and though rarer, the other way around too (_Some Like it
      > Hot_). In fact such films are so common they currently have a
      > name--'gender-bender.' If you mean strictly warrior women, there's not a few of those, too,
      > especially in the sword-and-sorcery sub-genre.
      >
      > There's an interesting sidelight in _Descent into Hell_ where Peter Stanhope
      > suggests that the director of his play "do as Shakespeare did and dress your
      > female chorus in exquiste male costume, creating something more wonderful than
      > either."
      >
      > Anne

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6 5:32 PM
        i received the material below on a religious List. At the end of the fourth para, we see another woman leading troops in battle. Though it doesn't say what she was wearing at the time.

        The prophetess Deborah in the book of JUDGES (4th chapter) in the Bible, and her terrific "song" in Ch. 5, is another example of courage and leadership. And Jael in the same chapter is an example of... something (!)

        Today, on May 1, the Church honors the holy memory of Saint Tamar
        of Georgia (around 1160-1213), a queen who demonstrated the
        spiritual strength of womanhood as a heroine of faith and virtue.

        Tamar was a descendant of the ancient Bagration dynasty that long
        ruled Georgia, an orthodox Christian country in the Caucasus
        Mountains between Europe and Asia. Born around 1160, she became
        co-ruler with her father, King George III, in 1178. She ruled in
        her own right as monarch after the death of her father in 1184.
        In 1185, she was wed in an arranged marriage to a Russian prince,
        George Bogolyubskiy. But the marriage, which ended up being
        childlessness, ended with the prince's banishment when he involved
        himself in court intrigues and stirred up unrest in Georgia. She
        then married a husband of her own choosing, the Georgian prince
        David Soslan (who proved to be a more faithful consort), in 1188.

        Tamar's reign (1184-1213) went down in history as being Georgia's
        "golden age." A woman of true faith and virtue, she took her
        God-given stewardship of government very seriously, in the spirit
        of Saint Paul the Apostle's teachings (Romans 13:1-7). She
        followed in the footsteps of her royal grandfather, King David III
        (nicknamed the "Builder" or "Restorer," also a saint of the
        Church), building on his initiative to make religion, education
        and culture vibrant forces binding together all Georgians. To
        this end, she sponsored the building of numerous churches,
        monastic communities and schools, where orthodox Christian culture
        was taught and developed. She also convened a council of Georgian
        bishops to set church life in Georgia aright and put it in good
        order.

        Tamar's efforts in this area were not just the expected actions of
        a "typical" medieval monarch. Georgia was surrounded by hostile
        Muslims bent on destroying its orthodox Christian heritage and
        forcing it to convert to Islam. Tamar worked hard to make sure
        that heritage survived and did not fall prey to heterodox enemies.
        When Muslim neighbors demanded that she submit to their rule and
        embrace Islam instead of orthodox Christianity, she took charge of
        her country's military forces herself -- a rather unusual thing in
        a day and age when women were considered weaker and less suited
        for military service than men. Believing it was her duty, as sole
        monarch, to share in the defense of her homeland and the hardships
        of her soldiers, she led them in combat herself. Under her
        leadership, the Georgians scored key defeats over the larger
        forces of Muslim Azerbaijanis and Seljuk Turks in 1193, 1195,
        1203, 1204 and 1206, ensuring the survival of orthodox Christian
        civilization in the region.

        Under Tamar's rule, Georgia reached a historic height as a
        regional power and experienced a major flowering in education and
        culture. A famous Georgian poet of the time, Shota Rustaveli,
        commemorated her queenship in his poem "The Knight in the
        Panther's Skin," an epic of Georgian literature. Because of her
        wise, just rule in peacetime and her bravery on the battlefield,
        her subjects addressed her as "king" as well as "queen." In fact,
        they called her "the king of kings and queen of queens" out of
        love for her. She has gone down in Georgian history as "Tamar the
        Great."

        Tamar spent the final years of her life at Georgia's Bardzia Cave
        Monastery. She lived in a humble nun's cell connected to the
        church by a window, so she could hear and pray along with the
        worship services offered there throughout the day. After a
        lifetime of service to her Church and her people, she peacefully
        fell asleep in the Lord there in 1213. After her death, her name
        was added to the calendar of saints by the Church, due to her
        personal example of heroic faith and virtue, as well as the
        people's veneration of her.

        Tamar's name (and its different forms, such as Tamara, Tamra or
        Thamar) comes from the Old Testament of the Bible. In its
        original Hebrew, it means "date palm tree." By dint of her faith
        and virtue in seeking and following God's will, Tamar lived up to
        her name in line with the words of Psalm 91:11-13 (Septuagint
        numbering): "The righteous will flourish like a palm tree... Those
        planted in the house of the Lord will blossom forth in the courts
        of our God."

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7 8:35 AM
          WOW! I'm impressed; we could use her help in the war on terrorism. What
          a terrific lady! I always admired Boudicea, but this woman makes even the
          Celtic Redhead look like a wimp. (Maybe Condaleeza Rice knows about her?
          Could be!) ---djb

[...]

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 17 , May 7 10:59 AM
            I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
            Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
            be available on the Web.

            One could also mention Cecelia Holland's novel THE ANGEL AND THE SWORD which
            supposedly comes from a tale of a Spanish princess who fought disguised as a
            knight in the days of the Viking invasions of Europe. i reviewed it a year
            or two back for MYTHPRINT.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 7 12:42 PM
              In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:

              <<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen

              Tamara, but it doesn't seem to

              be available on the Web.

              It's really more about the hero of the title than about Queen Tamara,
              although it's supposed to take place during her reign. My main recollection of it is
              that the hero spends an enormous amount of time weeping.
              Alexei
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 17 , May 7 12:54 PM
                >In a message dated 5/7/4 7:32:27 PM, Diamond wrote:
                >
                ><<I'd love to read "The Knight in the Panther's Skin," the poem about Queen
                >
                >Tamara, but it doesn't seem to
                >
                >be available on the Web.

                http://sangha.net/countries/Georgia/shota.htm
              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 17 , May 7 1:59 PM
                  Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin. Anyway, thanks for the link!

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8 11:52 AM
                    In a message dated 5/7/4 9:35:45 PM, Diamond wrote:

                    <<Oh... hang it... I thought -she- must be the Knight in the Panther's Skin.
                    Anyway, thanks for the link!

                    She *is*, actually, in the literary version (as opposed to the folk epic).
                    Alexei
                  • jamcconney@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 8 3:35 PM
                      Can whoever made the first post please give me the source of the story of St.
                      Tamar? I accessed the 'Knight in the Panther Skin' all right, but would like
                      to know the historical source as well.

                      Thanks!
                      Anne

                    • Stolzi
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10 11:03 AM
                        Here's a historical wrap-up on St Tamar:

                        http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/tamar_of_georgia

                        One might add that the Christian conversion of Georgia in the first place is attributed to a woman, St. Nino (an ascetic and healer, not a warrior). Yes, Nino with an "o."

                        Diamond Proudbrook
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10 11:37 AM
                          I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                          Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                          only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                          who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                          a cool name, too.

                          Boadicea rocks.

                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                        • juliet@firinn.org
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10 12:04 PM
                            On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:37:43PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                            > I am glad to see the name Tamar associated with some forces of good/power.
                            > Haven't had time to follow up on the actual tales yet, but until now the
                            > only association I had for that name was I think one of Noah's daughters,
                            > who didn't have the greatest plotline associated with her IIRC. It's such
                            > a cool name, too.

                            The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                            Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                            her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                            unpleasant story.

                            Julie
                          • Carl F. Hostetter
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 10 12:43 PM
                              At a Halloween party I attend years ago, a woman arrived dressed in a
                              cow costume, but with a helmet and carrying a sword. She was
                              "Boadi-cow", you see.

                              And yes, she said that men always stared at her udders when talking to
                              her...
                            • Matthew Winslow
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10 1:50 PM
                                juliet@... [juliet@...] wrote:
                                > The main Biblical Tamar is one of David's daughters. Her half-brother
                                > Amnon lusted after her and tricked her into his bedroom, where he raped
                                > her and rejected her. It wasn't her fault, but it certainly is an
                                > unpleasant story.

                                Don't forget Judah's daughter-in-law, Tamar, concerning whom Onan infamously
                                spilled his seed. She also seduced her father-in-law to shame him. (Genesis
                                38) The child of that union was Perez, who was one of Jesus's forefathers (cf,
                                Ruth 4).

                                "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."
                                --Logan Pearsall Smith
                                Currently reading: Shivering World by Kathy Tyers
                              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 12 8:00 AM
                                  OUCH...how moo-ving. And Udder-worldly. ---djb