Re: [mythsoc] Jackson's Eowyn gets it

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:13:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      "I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed for the
      woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and sometimes
      not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale sense."

      There are lots and lots of examples of this in the ballad tradition -- female
      soldiers and sailors. "Bold William Taylor," "There Was a Wealthy Merchant,"
      etc. And hey, what about Joan of Arc? <g>

      Susan

    • lt260
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2004
        > "I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed
        for the
        > woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and
        sometimes
        > not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale
        sense."

        Harry Turtledove and his "Guns of the South" series have a female
        Confederate soldier. She vacillates between fighting in the trenches
        and playing the hooker with the heart of gold. In one chapter she
        suffers dysentery with all the other lads and in another she is the
        romance enabler. This is in line with actual history in which
        females often fought in the wars; sometimes disguised as men and
        other times: not (Molly Pitcher and Margaret Corbin).