RE: [mythsoc] Jackson's Eowyn gets it

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3 6:12 AM
      I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed for the
      woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and sometimes
      not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale sense.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3 6:55 AM
        Mu Lan? I don't know how much Disney changed the original story, but in
        the movie she takes her brother's place as a soldier.

        Janet

        I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed for the
        woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and
        sometimes
        not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale sense.

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 7:20 AM
          In a message dated 5/3/2004 6:13:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          "I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed for the
          woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and sometimes
          not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale sense."

          There are lots and lots of examples of this in the ballad tradition -- female
          soldiers and sailors. "Bold William Taylor," "There Was a Wealthy Merchant,"
          etc. And hey, what about Joan of Arc? <g>

          Susan

        • lt260
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 1:16 PM
            > "I can't help but think that there is literary precedence indeed
            for the
            > woman guised as a man, off to fight, and sometimes revealed and
            sometimes
            > not. I can't think of any examples though, it's just a fairytale
            sense."

            Harry Turtledove and his "Guns of the South" series have a female
            Confederate soldier. She vacillates between fighting in the trenches
            and playing the hooker with the heart of gold. In one chapter she
            suffers dysentery with all the other lads and in another she is the
            romance enabler. This is in line with actual history in which
            females often fought in the wars; sometimes disguised as men and
            other times: not (Molly Pitcher and Margaret Corbin).