Re: [mythsoc] Pt 1 Frodo’s task in Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      Indeed.

      And what's with the weird Alan Paton reference? Frodo's agony over the
      Shire has nothing in common with the agony over South Africa depicted in
      Paton's novel "Cry, the Beloved Country."

      - David Bratman

      At 07:35 PM 5/1/2004 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >On May 1, 2004, at 12:52 PM, Walt Sheasby wrote:
      >
      >> The original scene is much less heart-rending because Frodo's cry of
      >> deprivation is not explicitly related to the beloved country.
      >
      >Whereas _I_ find the scene as Tolkien wrote it to be far _more_
      >effective and moving, because it shows Frodo's _utter_ isolation, not
      >just from his home -- everyone, after all, can become homesick -- but
      >from the natural world entirely.
    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Walt Sheasby
        <wsheasby@y...> wrote:

        > The film script by Peter Jackson emphasizes nostalgia
        > even beyond Tolkien's words. ...

        and

        > The original scene is much less heart-rending because
        > Frodo's cry of deprivation is not explicitly related to the
        > beloved country.

        Good grief, is THIS what Tolkien scholarship is coming to?
        Jackson's movie dialogue being cited on the laughable
        assumption that it has even a _whit_ of value to scholars
        studying JRR Tolkien's thought, and held up as _superior_
        to Tolkien's own writing no less? In an article purporting
        to be about _Tolkien's_ "The Lord of the Rings"?

        God help us if this is the shape of things to come.

        -- Patrick H. Wynne