RE: [mythsoc] OT pen question multiple post

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30 8:42 AM
      I caught the fountain pen bug a while bag and have several in different
      colors (to match what I'm wearing, because I'm that kind of geek, of
      course!) I've never tried the Pilot retractable -- all mine are
      Levenger True Writers, which are very nice. My husband likes the very
      techno Rotring aluminum pen, which is thinner and heavier. I'm not sure
      I'd trust a retractable not to leak -- all mine are screw cap. >>

      Oooh I've always suspected that this list must contain tons of Levenger
      fans, some who shop there and some who just drool (me usually). So, then,
      Janet, what did you think of Levenger's pastel leather line this season?

      Apparently the Pilot (Namiki) vanishing point pen is very popular, it isn't
      even expected to go on sale. I did finally order one, thanks all for
      comments. Does anyone have the Raden? Is it really worth it? I ordered
      the vanishing point and the Falcon for less than the price of the Raden.

      I have some old rotring art sketch pens and wish they were still around.
      I'm not sure I'd go for the thinner metal feel.

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        Some who attended the 2003 Mythcon will remember "Diamond Proudbrook's Owl Collection" which was on display, since we were in Nashville, home of Athena's Parthenon (replica version), and the owl is Athena's bird, and since I just wanted to show it off, dern it.

        One item in it was a little book I bought somewhere years ago, with wonderful facing pages of owl art and owl poems or prose snippets.

        There is one spread which has an old piece of advertising art, very clever, with an inkstand and two feather pens in round inkwells, forming the head of an Owl - and on the facing page, the advertising rhyme,

        "They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
        The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen."

        I was tempted this very morning by a cuddly little Hedwig Owl which I saw in Barnes & Noble... like I need more tchotchkes in this house.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          Stolzi wrote:

          >I was tempted this very morning by a cuddly little Hedwig Owl which I saw in Barnes & Noble... like I need more tchotchkes in this house.

          There are never enough tchotchkes! Says she who has a stuffed "Fluffly"
          standing guard over the pen collection drawers by her computer <g>. If
          there is an earthquake while I'm in the "office" I would do best to run
          for the doorway to protect myself from all the flying stuff!

          And we got an Hedwig for Little Harold. It came with a "We are very
          proud of you" note clipped to it for graduation from middle school. It
          fits in well with his massive collection of stuffies of all kinds in his
          well cluttered bedroom.

          Do you notice a pattern here? :-D

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2004
            There is one spread which has an old piece of advertising art, very clever,
            with an inkstand and two feather pens in round inkwells, forming the head
            of an Owl - and on the facing page, the advertising rhyme,

            "They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
            The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen." >>

            I don't suppose you have access to a scanner.... ?

            Real old feather pens? How recently were they in use ??

            Gosh doesn't this sound like something from... what is that village in
            Harry Potter where the students get to go shopping ? Not DiagonAlley, but
            the one that's a whole village...

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2004
              Larry said:

              Oh, I don't think its all that much of an advantage, it just makes me want
              to spend more of my hard earned dollars on wonderful pens instead of rent.

              There is that. Oops. Personally I do like having pleasant temptations
              around though. Sometimes one does need the drool factor in one's life.
              Not as many around here, and it's just not the same online. I think a
              gallery of antique jewelry or good art, or art supplies including pens, can
              be as pleasant an experience as a nice garden. Just a different type of
              experience, but not that far unrelated.

              My Namiki Falcon and vanishing point pens came today. The Falcon is OK --
              I think the Waterman Charleston wrote better though. The vp has to wait
              until Mother's Day. The Charleston will have to wait until June, barring
              unexpected windfalls. lol

              Lizzie Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                > Real old feather pens? How recently were they in use ??
                >
                > Gosh doesn't this sound like something from... what is that village in
                > Harry Potter where the students get to go shopping ? Not DiagonAlley, but
                > the one that's a whole village...

                I think you mean Hogsmeade.

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>