Re: Arthur C. Clarke

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      Wendell (and anyone else interested)--

      You asked a while back about the letters to Arthur C. Clarke in C. S.
      Lewis's _Collected Letters, Vol. II: Books, Broadcasts, and War,
      1931-1949_. There are four letters from Lewis to Clarke: (1) 7 Dec.
      in _Perelandra_--Clarke's letter is partly quoted in Hooper's introductory
      note; (2) 24 Sept. 1946, in reply to an invitation from Clarke for Lewis to
      attend a lecture by Clarke on space travel--Clarke's letter is quoted in
      part in a footnote; (3) 2 Oct. 1946, in response to Clarke sending him a
      copy of the lecture; and (4) 4 Jan. 1947, in response to Clarke sending him
      a copy of the journal that printed the lecture with a discussion--Hooper
      identifies the lecture and its publication in a footnote. I don't have the
      book of the Lewis-Clarke correspondence, so I can't say how complete this
      is. By the way, Hooper has a short biography of Clarke in the back of the
      book.

      --Joe
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
        I'm in the fortunate position of having copies of both books at hand to
        consult. The Clarke-Lewis volume has 8 letters by Lewis, 4 of which fall
        into the period (through 1949) that this volume of Lewis's collected
        letters covers. (The other 4 are later.) They are the same as the four
        letters, 3 of them extremely brief, that Joe describes in the collected
        letters volume. I didn't notice any significant differences in transcription.

        Collected Letters doesn't go into Clarke's side of the correspondence
        (though it does describe some other people's letters to Lewis in some
        detail), but is much better at annotating references in Lewis's letters.

        David Bratman