RE: [mythsoc] OT pen question multiple post

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2004
      Never had; don't know. Use roller-ball or gel pens, preferably black, .5
      mm. They flow best. ---djb
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2004
        I caught the fountain pen bug a while bag and have several in different
        colors (to match what I'm wearing, because I'm that kind of geek, of
        course!) I've never tried the Pilot retractable -- all mine are
        Levenger True Writers, which are very nice. My husband likes the very
        techno Rotring aluminum pen, which is thinner and heavier. I'm not sure
        I'd trust a retractable not to leak -- all mine are screw cap.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2004
          I never have either, but want one very badly. The chap at the store who lets me sample it frequently assures me that there is no leaking and I've not had one do so yet in the store. It seems to work on the same cartridge type think that the recent disposable fountain pens do, except in a slightly larger ball point barrel with spring.

          > Never had; don't know. Use roller-ball or gel pens, preferably black, .5
          > mm. They flow best. ---djb

          From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

          Powered by Outblaze
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2004
            I never have either, but want one very badly. The chap at the store who
            lets me sample it frequently assures me that there is no leaking and I've
            not had one do so yet in the store. It seems to work on the same cartridge
            type think that the recent disposable fountain pens do, except in a
            slightly larger ball point barrel with spring. >>

            Oooh, Larry, you're so lucky! You have a pen shop locally for test driving
            these things? I'm this close to getting one (the pen, not the store).. but
            their Falcon looks good too... and so does the Waterman Charleston... and
            the Sheaffer Intrigue. But these things are not cheap. The gadget factor
            of the vanishing point pen is very attractive, almost makes up for the nib
            (IMO) not being as good as some others. I hope your shop gives a good
            discount. Never buy these things at list price, never, never, never.

            Oh... and hey all, in case anyone is googling... the vanishing point pen is
            a Namiki. I have seen it marketed as Pilot, but you will get more hits as
            Namiki. Someone with more business knowledge than I would be able to pick
            up the name overlap thing.

            OK... and if anyone really wants to reflect on eye candy... go to joon.com
            (or your favorite pen site), and look at, say, the sterling silver dragon
            etched Namiki. Wish I could see that in person. Do you think one would
            write more mythically with an Oriental dragon twined around one's pen? And
            not the big heavy one in the Toscano catalog either.

            I think sometimes some pens do help, though... the ones that seem to let
            our words fly across the page... but they can't be predicted, and they
            can't always be repeated.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2004
              I caught the fountain pen bug a while bag and have several in different
              colors (to match what I'm wearing, because I'm that kind of geek, of
              course!) I've never tried the Pilot retractable -- all mine are
              Levenger True Writers, which are very nice. My husband likes the very
              techno Rotring aluminum pen, which is thinner and heavier. I'm not sure
              I'd trust a retractable not to leak -- all mine are screw cap. >>

              Oooh I've always suspected that this list must contain tons of Levenger
              fans, some who shop there and some who just drool (me usually). So, then,
              Janet, what did you think of Levenger's pastel leather line this season?

              Apparently the Pilot (Namiki) vanishing point pen is very popular, it isn't
              even expected to go on sale. I did finally order one, thanks all for
              comments. Does anyone have the Raden? Is it really worth it? I ordered
              the vanishing point and the Falcon for less than the price of the Raden.

              I have some old rotring art sketch pens and wish they were still around.
              I'm not sure I'd go for the thinner metal feel.

              Lizzie Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30, 2004
                Oh, I don't think its all that much of an advantage, it just makes me want to spend more of my hard earned dollars on wonderful pens instead of rent.

                Larry

                > I never have either, but want one very badly. The chap at the store who
                > lets me sample it frequently assures me that there is no leaking and I've
                > not had one do so yet in the store. It seems to work on the same cartridge
                > type think that the recent disposable fountain pens do, except in a
                > slightly larger ball point barrel with spring. >>
                >
                > Oooh, Larry, you're so lucky! You have a pen shop locally for test driving
                > these things? I'm this close to getting one (the pen, not the store).. but
                > their Falcon looks good too... and so does the Waterman Charleston... and
                > the Sheaffer Intrigue. But these things are not cheap. The gadget factor
                > of the vanishing point pen is very attractive, almost makes up for the nib
                > (IMO) not being as good as some others. I hope your shop gives a good
                > discount. Never buy these things at list price, never, never, never.
                >
                > Oh... and hey all, in case anyone is googling... the vanishing point pen is
                > a Namiki. I have seen it marketed as Pilot, but you will get more hits as
                > Namiki. Someone with more business knowledge than I would be able to pick
                > up the name overlap thing.
                >
                > OK... and if anyone really wants to reflect on eye candy... go to joon.com
                > (or your favorite pen site), and look at, say, the sterling silver dragon
                > etched Namiki. Wish I could see that in person. Do you think one would
                > write more mythically with an Oriental dragon twined around one's pen? And
                > not the big heavy one in the Toscano catalog either.
                >
                > I think sometimes some pens do help, though... the ones that seem to let
                > our words fly across the page... but they can't be predicted, and they
                > can't always be repeated.
                >

                > Lizzie Apgar Triano
                > lizziewriter@...
                > amor vincit omnia

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

                Powered by Outblaze
              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                  Some who attended the 2003 Mythcon will remember "Diamond Proudbrook's Owl Collection" which was on display, since we were in Nashville, home of Athena's Parthenon (replica version), and the owl is Athena's bird, and since I just wanted to show it off, dern it.

                  One item in it was a little book I bought somewhere years ago, with wonderful facing pages of owl art and owl poems or prose snippets.

                  There is one spread which has an old piece of advertising art, very clever, with an inkstand and two feather pens in round inkwells, forming the head of an Owl - and on the facing page, the advertising rhyme,

                  "They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
                  The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen."

                  I was tempted this very morning by a cuddly little Hedwig Owl which I saw in Barnes & Noble... like I need more tchotchkes in this house.

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                    Stolzi wrote:

                    >I was tempted this very morning by a cuddly little Hedwig Owl which I saw in Barnes & Noble... like I need more tchotchkes in this house.

                    There are never enough tchotchkes! Says she who has a stuffed "Fluffly"
                    standing guard over the pen collection drawers by her computer <g>. If
                    there is an earthquake while I'm in the "office" I would do best to run
                    for the doorway to protect myself from all the flying stuff!

                    And we got an Hedwig for Little Harold. It came with a "We are very
                    proud of you" note clipped to it for graduation from middle school. It
                    fits in well with his massive collection of stuffies of all kinds in his
                    well cluttered bedroom.

                    Do you notice a pattern here? :-D

                    Mythically yours,
                    Lisa
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                      There is one spread which has an old piece of advertising art, very clever,
                      with an inkstand and two feather pens in round inkwells, forming the head
                      of an Owl - and on the facing page, the advertising rhyme,

                      "They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
                      The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen." >>

                      I don't suppose you have access to a scanner.... ?

                      Real old feather pens? How recently were they in use ??

                      Gosh doesn't this sound like something from... what is that village in
                      Harry Potter where the students get to go shopping ? Not DiagonAlley, but
                      the one that's a whole village...

                      Lizzie Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                        Larry said:

                        Oh, I don't think its all that much of an advantage, it just makes me want
                        to spend more of my hard earned dollars on wonderful pens instead of rent.

                        There is that. Oops. Personally I do like having pleasant temptations
                        around though. Sometimes one does need the drool factor in one's life.
                        Not as many around here, and it's just not the same online. I think a
                        gallery of antique jewelry or good art, or art supplies including pens, can
                        be as pleasant an experience as a nice garden. Just a different type of
                        experience, but not that far unrelated.

                        My Namiki Falcon and vanishing point pens came today. The Falcon is OK --
                        I think the Waterman Charleston wrote better though. The vp has to wait
                        until Mother's Day. The Charleston will have to wait until June, barring
                        unexpected windfalls. lol

                        Lizzie Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • Margaret Dean
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                          > Real old feather pens? How recently were they in use ??
                          >
                          > Gosh doesn't this sound like something from... what is that village in
                          > Harry Potter where the students get to go shopping ? Not DiagonAlley, but
                          > the one that's a whole village...

                          I think you mean Hogsmeade.

                          --Margaret Dean
                          <margdean@...>