Re: [mythsoc] Beowulf to become a film

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2004
      OK OK!

      The mis-spelling was probably curtesy of the friend who retyped it into
      her newsletter!! I just did a cut and paste without checking name
      spellings, since I can't remember the names of characters after 20 years
      anyway.

      I have seen the name Hrothgar spelled correctly in several other places,
      including this press release which is directly associated with the
      production company.

      Scott Speedman to Star in Darclight's Beowulf
      Source: Inside Film, Dark Horizons
      Thursday, March 11, 2004

      Inside Film reports that Darclight Films, the recently launched horror
      label of Arclight, has announced the pre-production of Beowulf, which
      will star Scott Speedman (Underworld).

      The film is the epic tale based on the famous Old English poem,
      "Beowulf," which inspired Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings. The medieval
      adventure, part fable, part horror-story is loosely based on the 9th
      century Anglo-Saxon poem, Beowulf, telling the blood-soaked tale of a
      Norse hero's battle with a great and murderous troll.

      The story's spine is simple; out of loyalty to an old friend, a young
      hero leads a troop of warriors across the sea to help rid a village of a
      marauding monster. But here the conventions end. The code of the warrior
      is the law of the land and Beowulf is the greatest warrior of them all.
      He's brave and powerful, aware of his fame and a little bit full of
      himself — the medieval equivalent of a rock star - aware, but not
      entirely happy, that a hero-myth is rising up around his exploits.
      Beowulf prefers to see himself as an ordinary man, but for his
      particular skill in slaying monsters.

      The monster in this case is not a creature of mythic powers, but one of
      flesh and blood - immense flesh and raging blood, driven by a vengeance
      from being wronged. Beowulf wants to do the right thing, but what the
      right thing is, becomes increasingly unclear.

      Beowulf is written and co-produced by Andrew Rai Berzins and will be
      directed by Sturla Gunnarsson. The film will be shot in the stark and
      primal landscape of Iceland as a production between Canada, the United
      Kingdom and Iceland. The producers are out to Sean Connery to play
      Hrothgar.

      Not to sure about the rock star reference, but read into it what you
      will (you will anyway).

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa