Re: The Iron Lance

  • Matthew Winslow, The Blue-Woaded One
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
      I'm reading it out loud to my wife right now -- about on page 150.

      I'm a huge Lawhead fan. I really enjoy his writing, especially the Pendragon "trilogy" (yeah, I know there're five books now, but the first three hold together strongly as a unit with the next two as "add-ons"). For the interested, there's a lively Lawhead discussion list (http://www.aracnet.com/~petercj/srl/).

      My first comment is that the thing was probably *not* copyedited. So far I've found dangling modifiers, Robert Louis Stephenson, and some really *glaring* typos. (I'm an editor by profession, so these things really stand out to me.)

      As for the book, it doesn't look like one of Lawhead's better books. By far not his worst, but not something great. The whole "1899" sub-plot seems (so far) to be one huge cliche. By page 150, there *still* isn't any great forward movement of the narrative. That whole first book could have been pared by about half of its 120 pages and achieved the same results. Instead, its length makes it read more like a Jordan (ugh) novel.

      But the story is slooowly starting to pick up speed and interest. Both Alexius and Murdo are well-rounded and fascinating characters. Everyone I know who's finished it really enjoyed it, so maybe it picks up.

      ---
      Matthew Winslow mithlond@...
      http://members.theglobe.com/mithlond
      "Though I look old, yet I am strong and lusty" -- W. Shakespeare

      "Free web-based email available now at http://www.theglobe.com"
    • director@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 1998
        >I'm a huge Lawhead fan. I really enjoy his writing, especially the
        >Pendragon "trilogy" (yeah, I know there're five books now, but the first
        >three hold together strongly as a unit with the next two as "add-ons").
        >For the interested, there's a lively Lawhead discussion list
        >(http://www.aracnet.com/~petercj/srl/).
        >
        >My first comment is that the thing was probably *not* copyedited. So far
        >I've found dangling modifiers, Robert Louis Stephenson, and some really
        >*glaring* typos. (I'm an editor by profession, so these things really
        >stand out to me.)
        >
        >As for the book, it doesn't look like one of Lawhead's better books. By
        >far not his worst, but not something great. The whole "1899" sub-plot
        >seems (so far) to be one huge cliche. By page 150, there *still* isn't any
        >great forward movement of the narrative. That whole first book could have
        >been pared by about half of its 120 pages and achieved the same results.
        >Instead, its length makes it read more like a Jordan (ugh) novel.
        >
        >But the story is slooowly starting to pick up speed and interest. Both
        >Alexius and Murdo are well-rounded and fascinating characters. Everyone I
        >know who's finished it really enjoyed it, so maybe it picks up.

        As I said, I really enjoyed the book. It certainly doesn't compare with
        Byzantium or Song of Albion (which I think are his best) but it isn't
        overly long (nowhere near as long as Jordan's books). It only took me 2 or
        3 days of reading off and on to finish it. I guess I'll have to see where
        it heads next before I completely make up my mind.

        Matthew R. Williams
        Watertown Public Library
        Watertown, Wisconsin
        director@...-wi.org
      • Donovan Mattole
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2000
          --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, director@... wrote:
          > Hi:
          > I've just signed up for this new list. I'm a public library
          director in Wisconsin. I've just finished reading Stephen Lawhead's
          new book "The iron lance" which I found quite enjoyable. Anybody
          else read this yet?

          I read it when it came out in 1998. I found it slow going, but that
          was partially due to the fact that I read it in brief snippets while
          riding the MAX (Portland transit train) to work each day - it took a
          month to get through it. I just started The Black Rood this week.
          I've had it sitting on my desk since December and I have kept passing
          it over due to memories of The Iron Lance dragging - from what I can
          tell so far he picked up the pace and I'm enjoying it. I'll let you
          know my final feelings as soon as I'm done. I loved Avalon - it was
          a fun read.

          Donovan Mattole