Re: [mythsoc] Beowulf to become a film

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2004
      In a message dated 4/19/2004 10:53:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      >Funny, adj. 2. Strange; odd; curious.

      Or as people asked in my family - "Funny ha-ha, or funny peculiar?"

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 20, 2004
        OK OK!

        The mis-spelling was probably curtesy of the friend who retyped it into
        her newsletter!! I just did a cut and paste without checking name
        spellings, since I can't remember the names of characters after 20 years
        anyway.

        I have seen the name Hrothgar spelled correctly in several other places,
        including this press release which is directly associated with the
        production company.

        Scott Speedman to Star in Darclight's Beowulf
        Source: Inside Film, Dark Horizons
        Thursday, March 11, 2004

        Inside Film reports that Darclight Films, the recently launched horror
        label of Arclight, has announced the pre-production of Beowulf, which
        will star Scott Speedman (Underworld).

        The film is the epic tale based on the famous Old English poem,
        "Beowulf," which inspired Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings. The medieval
        adventure, part fable, part horror-story is loosely based on the 9th
        century Anglo-Saxon poem, Beowulf, telling the blood-soaked tale of a
        Norse hero's battle with a great and murderous troll.

        The story's spine is simple; out of loyalty to an old friend, a young
        hero leads a troop of warriors across the sea to help rid a village of a
        marauding monster. But here the conventions end. The code of the warrior
        is the law of the land and Beowulf is the greatest warrior of them all.
        He's brave and powerful, aware of his fame and a little bit full of
        himself — the medieval equivalent of a rock star - aware, but not
        entirely happy, that a hero-myth is rising up around his exploits.
        Beowulf prefers to see himself as an ordinary man, but for his
        particular skill in slaying monsters.

        The monster in this case is not a creature of mythic powers, but one of
        flesh and blood - immense flesh and raging blood, driven by a vengeance
        from being wronged. Beowulf wants to do the right thing, but what the
        right thing is, becomes increasingly unclear.

        Beowulf is written and co-produced by Andrew Rai Berzins and will be
        directed by Sturla Gunnarsson. The film will be shot in the stark and
        primal landscape of Iceland as a production between Canada, the United
        Kingdom and Iceland. The producers are out to Sean Connery to play
        Hrothgar.

        Not to sure about the rock star reference, but read into it what you
        will (you will anyway).

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa