One of those moments...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
      I am probably beyond help. When I saw this blurb on a website

      "Why are Muslims in the West hesitant to help unearth extremists?"

      I fear that my first reaction was to think "unearth" was an adjective and
      that "extraterrestrial" would be a better way of putting it than "unearth."

      Diamond Proudbrook

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
        No, "unearth" is only a verb. "Unearthly" is an adjective: it may sound
        like it should be an adverb, but it's an adjective.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
          In a message dated 4/20/2004 5:43:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:
          No, "unearth" is only a verb. "Unearthly" is an adjective: it may sound
          like it should be an adverb, but it's an adjective.
          Fiddle de dee.

          American warriors
          Earth warriors

          UnAmerican opponents
          UnEarth opponents

          Diamond Proudbrook, semanticist extraordinaire

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
            Your description of that moment inspired a powerful mental image that I
            wish I could draw / paint, a la Sue Dawes or Rowena. Unfortunately, I am
            not Sue Dawes / Rowena, and so it will only live in my mind. Sigh. In my
            next life, I'd like some artistic talent, please! (Hmm. What kind of car
            would an elf drive? A convertible, I think! With magical screen to keep
            out the rain but let in the wind and leaves.)---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .