One of those moments...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
      In traffic today, I spotted a car in an adjacent lane which was an unusual
      deep red-purple color. The license plate read FAIRY1.

      Naturally after that I had to peek at the driver. She was small, slight, had
      extremely white, fair skin, and a head of unruly red hair. Across her dash
      top lay a lot, I mean a LOT, of dry leaves.

      Somehow I wondered whether, if I only knew the key or could find the gate to
      an alternate world, whether I wouldn't see this person not driving a car at
      all but somehow, magically, flying - most likely the leaves were involved in
      some way.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
        Sounds like a mythie to me! Someone I'd like to at least speak to. ---djb

        In traffic today, I spotted a car in an adjacent lane which was an unusual
        deep red-purple color. The license plate read FAIRY1.

        Naturally after that I had to peek at the driver. She was small, slight,
        had
        extremely white, fair skin, and a head of unruly red hair. Across her dash
        top lay a lot, I mean a LOT, of dry leaves.

        Somehow I wondered whether, if I only knew the key or could find the gate
        an alternate world, whether I wouldn't see this person not driving a car at
        all but somehow, magically, flying - most likely the leaves were involved
        in
        some way.

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > In traffic today, I spotted a car in an adjacent lane which was an unusual
          > deep red-purple color. The license plate read FAIRY1.
          >
          > Naturally after that I had to peek at the driver. She was small, slight,
          > had extremely white, fair skin, and a head of unruly red hair. Across her
          > dash top lay a lot, I mean a LOT, of dry leaves.
          >
          > Somehow I wondered whether, if I only knew the key or could find the gate to
          > an alternate world, whether I wouldn't see this person not driving a car at
          > all but somehow, magically, flying - most likely the leaves were involved in
          > some way.

          Either that, or if you'd been able to follow the car closely
          enough, it might have led you to somewhere Not Quite Of This
          World. :)

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
            >Either that, or if you'd been able to follow the car closely
            >enough, it might have led you to somewhere Not Quite Of This
            >World. :)

            I'm not sure I want to be part of a world where a hundred American troops have died in a war
            that doesn't officially exist. Really. Truly.

            NR -- Paul Brandon's The Wild Reel (The Irish Fey end up in Brisbane, Australia)
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
              I am probably beyond help. When I saw this blurb on a website

              "Why are Muslims in the West hesitant to help unearth extremists?"

              I fear that my first reaction was to think "unearth" was an adjective and
              that "extraterrestrial" would be a better way of putting it than "unearth."

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
                No, "unearth" is only a verb. "Unearthly" is an adjective: it may sound
                like it should be an adverb, but it's an adjective.

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                  In a message dated 4/20/2004 5:43:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:
                  No, "unearth" is only a verb. "Unearthly" is an adjective: it may sound
                  like it should be an adverb, but it's an adjective.
                  Fiddle de dee.

                  American warriors
                  Earth warriors

                  UnAmerican opponents
                  UnEarth opponents

                  Diamond Proudbrook, semanticist extraordinaire

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                    Your description of that moment inspired a powerful mental image that I
                    wish I could draw / paint, a la Sue Dawes or Rowena. Unfortunately, I am
                    not Sue Dawes / Rowena, and so it will only live in my mind. Sigh. In my
                    next life, I'd like some artistic talent, please! (Hmm. What kind of car
                    would an elf drive? A convertible, I think! With magical screen to keep
                    out the rain but let in the wind and leaves.)---djb