Re: [mythsoc] Movie Reviews in ENY

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16 6:55 PM
      In a message dated 4/16/2004 12:10:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:
      _The Episcopal New Yorker
      Having a vivid picture of Eustace Tilley, long-nosed, dressed in clericals
      and examining a butterfly...

      The reviews of THE PASSION are here

      http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html

      But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
      embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc.

      I'm also confused by the lady who thinks we're meant to LIKE Gollum.

      And I guess any reviewer who gives strokes to Dominic Crossan is going to
      lose me.

      But this is not the time nor the place.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19 6:18 AM
        _The Episcopal New Yorker
        Having a vivid picture of Eustace Tilley, long-nosed, dressed in clericals
        and examining a butterfly... >>

        Well, there's one I hadn't thought of, but what a great connection. lol
        Guess I can't see the forest for the trees at this distance. ;-D

        << The reviews of THE PASSION are here

        http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html

        But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
        embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc. >>

        Thank you. Oh. Which Herod? I will have to reread the reviews. What is
        an Edomite?

        << I'm also confused by the lady who thinks we're meant to LIKE Gollum. >>

        Well... there is supposed to be a little sympathy. I think in the books it
        was mostly provided by comments from Gandalf. I think she said something
        like Gollum could not be liked nor feared in the movie. I think he seemed
        moderately dangerous, but yes, I suppose one never really thought he might
        throttle one.

        << And I guess any reviewer who gives strokes to Dominic Crossan is going
        lose me. >>

        Well, that went right over my head so it wasn't an issue. ;-)

        Good morning, everyone. Happy Monday.

        << But this is not the time nor the place. >>

        If not here, where? If not now, when?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19 6:33 AM
          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          > << But this is not the time nor the place. >>
          >
          > If not here, where? If not now, when?

          As I've mentioned before, I'd prefer discussion of The Passion be
          continued offlist unless the subject can be linked to the Inklings or
          fantasy in general.

          Thanks,
          Joan
          Friendly Neighborhood List Administrator
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19 7:36 AM
            Oops, sorry! ;-p

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • juliet@firinn.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19 9:03 AM
              > << The reviews of THE PASSION are here
              >
              > http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html
              >
              > But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
              > embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc. >>
              >
              > Thank you. Oh. Which Herod? I will have to reread the reviews. What is
              > an Edomite?

              An Edomite is a descendant of Esau, Jacob/Israel's twin brother.