Movie Reviews in ENY

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
      Some interesting write-ups of Gibson's Passion and ROTK in the March/April
      2004 _The Episcopal New Yorker_. I'm with them.

      Not sure if they are available at the website, but ENY is out of the
      diocese:

      www.dioceseny.org

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
        In a message dated 4/16/2004 12:10:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:
        _The Episcopal New Yorker
        Having a vivid picture of Eustace Tilley, long-nosed, dressed in clericals
        and examining a butterfly...

        The reviews of THE PASSION are here

        http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html

        But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
        embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc.

        I'm also confused by the lady who thinks we're meant to LIKE Gollum.

        And I guess any reviewer who gives strokes to Dominic Crossan is going to
        lose me.

        But this is not the time nor the place.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2004
          _The Episcopal New Yorker
          Having a vivid picture of Eustace Tilley, long-nosed, dressed in clericals
          and examining a butterfly... >>

          Well, there's one I hadn't thought of, but what a great connection. lol
          Guess I can't see the forest for the trees at this distance. ;-D

          << The reviews of THE PASSION are here

          http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html

          But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
          embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc. >>

          Thank you. Oh. Which Herod? I will have to reread the reviews. What is
          an Edomite?

          << I'm also confused by the lady who thinks we're meant to LIKE Gollum. >>

          Well... there is supposed to be a little sympathy. I think in the books it
          was mostly provided by comments from Gandalf. I think she said something
          like Gollum could not be liked nor feared in the movie. I think he seemed
          moderately dangerous, but yes, I suppose one never really thought he might
          throttle one.

          << And I guess any reviewer who gives strokes to Dominic Crossan is going
          lose me. >>

          Well, that went right over my head so it wasn't an issue. ;-)

          Good morning, everyone. Happy Monday.

          << But this is not the time nor the place. >>

          If not here, where? If not now, when?

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2004
            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            > << But this is not the time nor the place. >>
            >
            > If not here, where? If not now, when?

            As I've mentioned before, I'd prefer discussion of The Passion be
            continued offlist unless the subject can be linked to the Inklings or
            fantasy in general.

            Thanks,
            Joan
            Friendly Neighborhood List Administrator
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2004
              Oops, sorry! ;-p

              Lizzie Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • juliet@firinn.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 19, 2004
                > << The reviews of THE PASSION are here
                >
                > http://eny.dioceseny.org/Books.html
                >
                > But the lady who thinks Herod "was Jewish too" is confused. Though he
                > embraced the Jewish religion, he was an Idumaean (Edomite) iirc. >>
                >
                > Thank you. Oh. Which Herod? I will have to reread the reviews. What is
                > an Edomite?

                An Edomite is a descendant of Esau, Jacob/Israel's twin brother.