RE: On the trail of hobbits?

  • Julia Palffy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
      life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

      I remember found it hard to believe it too when I saw those petrified
      bodies... which is why I suggested the possibility of some "shrivelling" -
      but of course, I can't imagine that making more than a couple of inches
      difference. It's many years since I visited Pompeii, so my estimate may be a
      little wide of the mark, but I think not much.

      As to Roman statuary - It would depend on what it was made for in the first
      place.
      I visited the collection in the Vatican museums last November. There were
      too many different sizes to be really sure of which were life-size. Most of
      them, as I remember, were funerary statues. They did seem curiously
      proportioned in that they were just under what I would define as life-size,
      sort of the shape of adults but the height of children.
      I think the function of the statues would also influence their size: the
      statue of a famous consul or of some divinity, meant to be set up as a
      public monument, would be more likely to be carved somewhat oversize to look
      more impressive. And family Lares (statues of ancestors) might also depen on
      the price the sculptor asked for it or what the family could have afforded.
      So I'm not sure statues are a good reference to judge the size of actual
      people.

      Again, when I think of the Etruscan war-chariot I saw in the same museum, I
      think a five-foot man would almost have been too tall for it. I'm not sure
      whether it was meant for a single passenger or a charioteer and a passenger
      (in the latter case, only hobbits could actually have fitted into it without
      falling out at the first jerk!)And yet it certainly wasn't a toy!

      Thinking about it, a lot of historical artefacts I've seen in museums are
      unnervingly barely just too small to seem realistic - I've often wondered
      whether I could really believe what was written on the display label, or
      been tempted to think it must have been some kind of ritual object, not
      meant for actual wear, or been meant for a child, though it isn't anything
      child-like...

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland
      jupalffy@...
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
        I'm a "naturalized" German/English type (thank you for that info on Cousin
        George), around five and a half feet tall and all the men on my side of the
        family are 6' or over BUT I married a Northern Irish/Sicilian and most of the
        men on the Sicilian side are shorter than me, and of the Northern Irish some
        seem very short and others very tall (been there to visit the family)... not
        that you care... AND when doing the hitchhiking / train thing in 1985, my
        friend and I noticed, crossing the borders coming up from France into
        Germany, that everyone suddenly got a few inches taller on average. Didn't
        go into Italy and Greece. It's a pretty noticeable trend, if you are just
        blundering around prepared to notice it.

        Lizzie
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
          In a message dated 03/03/2000 9:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are
          looking
          for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
          gamers. >>
          ggg. It's so hard to see expressions on this machine. Actually I get a lot
          of false leads when doing web searches. Even using questions. And then the
          search engine has the nerve to question my spelling.

          Lizzie