Well, there you have it.

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
      A reviewer in my local alternative paper writes about Liv Tyler's new movie
      "Jersey Girl":

      "Liv Tyler, unburdened of playing the sole beard in Middle Earth's homoerotic
      romp..."

      So now we know what the movie was all about.

      Diamond Proudbrook, glad to know at last

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
        Isn't "beard" a kind of ironic term here?

        This person's problem is a mere inability to believe that there's any form
        of love other than sexual. Lewis had a few choice words about that.

        First the "History of Homosexuality", now this. Something's up, clearly.

        DB

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
          Actually I wrote DavidB in private email about the "History of
          Homosexuality." It was something I found on the Web which said that =Herbert Hoover= had
          been for many years the head of the FBI. This pointed up David's constant point
          about "don't use the Web for serious research!

          So, David, what ABOUT all those hobbits jumping up and down on Frodo's bed?
          (which ain't in the book)

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004
            It was something I found on the Web which said that =Herbert Hoover= had
            been for many years the head of the FBI. >>

            Wasn't he?

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2004

              ---

              Editorial, Denver Post, April 4, 2004

              John Kerry and George W. Bush need to bring their campaigns into the 21st
              century. Some of their name-calling may prompt nothing more from voters
              than: "Who?"
              Bush partisans paint Kerry as an ally of Jane Fonda's antiwar activism
              during the Vietnam era.
              Kerry acolytes label Bush as a modern-day Herbert Hoover, the Republican
              president who led the country into the Great Depression.
              Many voters don't have a clue what either of them are talking about,
              according to a recent poll.
              More Americans know Fonda as an actress and a fitness enthusiast than as an
              activist. Her name conjures up memories of Barbarella, not Hanoi Jane.
              As for Hoover: A lot of folks mix him up with former FBI director J. Edgar
              Hoover, or link him to the dam on the Colorado River, not the Depression. A
              small percentage believe he made vacuum cleaners.
              It all sounds like something Jay Leno would ask during his "Tonight Show"
              Jaywalking routine.
              But the poll results are real, compiled last month by the University of
              Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey.
              As might be expected, older voters are more likely to recognize the names
              Fonda and Hoover and associate them with antiwar protests or the Great
              Depression.
              Younger voters haven't got a clue what the two aging baby boomer
              presidential candidates are yakking about. For example, just 5 percent of
              voters ages 18-29 knew about Fonda's antiwar protests, while 20 percent
              associated her with exercise videos.
              Sometimes analogies work, and reaching back into the past for history
              lessons can be useful.
              In this campaign, though, Bush and Kerry should come up with boogeypersons
              who don't leave young Americans shaking their heads in confusion.
              If either campaign wants to draw younger voters to the polls, they have to
              find images and messages that are meaningful in the new century.
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2004
                Thank you, David. The Hoover clarification was helpful. I'm not exactly
                younger either, but I guess I'm younger than Dubya. I knew about the Fonda
                antiwar thing, but in my mind it's not like actors and actresses are
                necessarily deep thinkers.

                feeling cranky today,

                Lizzie Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 14, 2004
                  Joe Friday: That was J. Edgar, ma'am. Herbert Hoover invented the vacuum
                  cleaner. ---djb

                  http://mail2web.com/ .