Re: On the trail of hobbits?

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2000
      On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

      > I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
      > life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

      Somehow this causes me to think of four-footed Romans, and to imagine
      statues of Roman soldiers in glistening armour, posed awkwardly with
      their hands on the ground and their rears sticking up in the air.

      David Bratman
    • Julia Palffy
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        I find that figure about 4-foot Romans hard to believe. We have lots of
        life-size Roman statues remaining, has anyone measured them?

        I remember found it hard to believe it too when I saw those petrified
        bodies... which is why I suggested the possibility of some "shrivelling" -
        but of course, I can't imagine that making more than a couple of inches
        difference. It's many years since I visited Pompeii, so my estimate may be a
        little wide of the mark, but I think not much.

        As to Roman statuary - It would depend on what it was made for in the first
        place.
        I visited the collection in the Vatican museums last November. There were
        too many different sizes to be really sure of which were life-size. Most of
        them, as I remember, were funerary statues. They did seem curiously
        proportioned in that they were just under what I would define as life-size,
        sort of the shape of adults but the height of children.
        I think the function of the statues would also influence their size: the
        statue of a famous consul or of some divinity, meant to be set up as a
        public monument, would be more likely to be carved somewhat oversize to look
        more impressive. And family Lares (statues of ancestors) might also depen on
        the price the sculptor asked for it or what the family could have afforded.
        So I'm not sure statues are a good reference to judge the size of actual
        people.

        Again, when I think of the Etruscan war-chariot I saw in the same museum, I
        think a five-foot man would almost have been too tall for it. I'm not sure
        whether it was meant for a single passenger or a charioteer and a passenger
        (in the latter case, only hobbits could actually have fitted into it without
        falling out at the first jerk!)And yet it certainly wasn't a toy!

        Thinking about it, a lot of historical artefacts I've seen in museums are
        unnervingly barely just too small to seem realistic - I've often wondered
        whether I could really believe what was written on the display label, or
        been tempted to think it must have been some kind of ritual object, not
        meant for actual wear, or been meant for a child, though it isn't anything
        child-like...

        Julia Palffy
        Zug, Switzerland
        jupalffy@...
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
          I'm a "naturalized" German/English type (thank you for that info on Cousin
          George), around five and a half feet tall and all the men on my side of the
          family are 6' or over BUT I married a Northern Irish/Sicilian and most of the
          men on the Sicilian side are shorter than me, and of the Northern Irish some
          seem very short and others very tall (been there to visit the family)... not
          that you care... AND when doing the hitchhiking / train thing in 1985, my
          friend and I noticed, crossing the borders coming up from France into
          Germany, that everyone suddenly got a few inches taller on average. Didn't
          go into Italy and Greece. It's a pretty noticeable trend, if you are just
          blundering around prepared to notice it.

          Lizzie
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
            In a message dated 03/03/2000 9:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << True, but I meant you don't get the factual history webpage you are
            looking
            for on your word-search. I would never demean or impugn the intelligence of
            gamers. >>
            ggg. It's so hard to see expressions on this machine. Actually I get a lot
            of false leads when doing web searches. Even using questions. And then the
            search engine has the nerve to question my spelling.

            Lizzie