From that mythical land inside the Beltway

  • Elizabeth R. Milner
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
      From Today's Washington Post.

      Don't Quoth Him on That

      By Richard Leiby
      Thursday, April 8, 2004; Page C03

      Though long dead and buried in Baltimore, Edgar Allan Poe has been
      drafted to help protect our homeland against terrorist foes. More
      precisely, Poe's raven is the recruit -- along with the bird's
      disquieting refrain, "Nevermore!"

      Evidencing both literary acumen and a willingness to think outside
      the eagle, the federal Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects
      Agency -- which goes by the geeky acronym HSARPA and develops
      secretive, high-tech counterterrorism gizmos -- has adopted Poe's
      raven to represent its mission. Homeland Security officials say the
      raven is not part of a "sanctioned logo," but that's what was
      featured on a HSARPA info sheet distributed on Capitol Hill earlier
      this week.

      "The raven has an honored place in worldwide mythology and his
      mythological traits signify HSARPA's role and way of doing business,"
      states the handout. "In Norse mythology, each day Odin would send his
      ravens, Huginn and Muninn, around the world. . . . They returned at
      nightfall, perched on his shoulders, and related the news of the
      world. Ravens are prominent in Celtic, Irish, and Welsh mythology in
      which they invariably have the gift of prophesy or foresight. Ravens
      also appear in the myths of the dwarves who live on the slopes of
      Mount Kilimanjaro. . . .

      "In many shamanic cultures of North America, Raven is the Creator,
      the provider of light and fire, and a trickster, who can change
      shapes to obtain his ends."

      Shamans? Dwarves? Tricksters? Hey, this is creeping us out, like that
      all-seeing eyeball adopted by the Pentagon's Office of Total
      Information Awareness!

      The HSARPA fact sheet concludes: "The ribbon carried by our Raven
      symbolizes Edgar Allan Poe's dark poetry, a metaphor to the aftermath
      of 9/11, and also the commitment that terrorist attacks on the USA
      shall occur nevermore!"

      The Department of Homeland Security has sought to enforce symbolic
      uniformity among various offices and agencies. Spokeswoman Michelle
      Petrovich told us yesterday: "It's not an official logo and it's not
      its own agency -- it's just an office under the DHS Science and
      Technology Directorate. The only logo that exists for DHS is DHS's
      logo." (Hint: That's the one with the eagle.)

      Then a more senior official, Susan Neely, called to say the logo was
      as dead as the bard of Baltimore. "It will not be used."
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
        lolol Was that for real? Oh, wow, pagan symbolism almost making it in the
        government. Can you imagine?

        Lizzie Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
          More likely to make it these days than Christian mythic symbols. And I
          actually like ravens. BTW, Alan Parsons Project did a great song on Poe's
          Raven in *Tales of Mystery and Imagination;* works for me.

          I hate the name "Homeland Security." Sounds like something Nazis [who were
          much into pagan symbols themselves] would concoct. RAVEN [Restore America;
          Verify Enemy Nationals.] would actually sound cool; and all those special
          ops people don't need to make it a true acronym. "What it means? Well,
          that's on a need-to-know basis." RAVEN would be an improvement. ---djb

          lolol Was that for real? Oh, wow, pagan symbolism almost making it in the
          government. Can you imagine?

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
            Check the back of your dollar bill. That's the Eye of Thoth above the
            pyramid. Egyptian god.

            Why is it there? Well, that's a long story, involving Freemasons, a
            very popular French novel of the early 18th century, 2nd-century
            Gnostic writings, and a profound historical error in the Renaissance.
            It's also why we call Gypsies "Gypsies", and why it was believed that
            they could read the future. It's why we say that things that are
            airtight are "hermetically" sealed.

            Carl

          • juliet@firinn.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
              Doesn't the raven most commonly symbolize impending death?

              Julie
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2004
                >Doesn't the raven most commonly symbolize impending death?

                Certainly in Celtic mythology that is true!
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2004
                  Impending death...hmm. Appropriate image for would-be terrorists. Maybe
                  it'll scare 'em a little. ---djb

                  >Doesn't the raven most commonly symbolize impending death?

                  Certainly in Celtic mythology that is true!

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • ravenduongladash
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 11, 2004
                    > Check the back of your dollar bill. That's the Eye of Thoth above
                    the
                    > pyramid. Egyptian god.
                    >
                    > Why is it there? Well, that's a long story, involving Freemasons, a
                    > very popular French novel of the early 18th century, 2nd-century
                    > Gnostic writings, and a profound historical error in the
                    Renaissance.
                    > It's also why we call Gypsies "Gypsies", and why it was believed
                    that
                    > they could read the future. It's why we say that things that are
                    > airtight are "hermetically" sealed.

                    From the Skeptics...

                    "From the US Treasury

                    http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/portraits.html#q3

                    What is the significance of the symbols on the back of the one-dollar
                    bill? I'm particularly interested in the eye and the pyramid.

                    The eye and the pyramid shown on the reverse side of the one-dollar
                    bill are in the Great Seal of the United States. The Great Seal was
                    first used on the reverse of the one-dollar Federal Reserve note in
                    1935. The Department of State is the official keeper of the Seal.
                    They believe that the most accurate explanation of a pyramid on the
                    Great Seal is that it symbolizes strength and durability. The
                    unfinished pyramid means that the United States will always grow,
                    improve and build. In addition, the "All-Seeing Eye" located above
                    the pyramid suggests the importance of divine guidance in favor of
                    the American cause. The inscription ANNUIT COEPTIS translates as "He
                    (God) has favored our undertakings," and refers to the many instances
                    of Divine Providence during our Government's formation. In addition,
                    the inscription NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM translates as "A new order of the
                    ages," and signifies a new American era.

                    From the person who submitted the design in 1782

                    http://www.greatseal.com/symbols/blazon.html

                    The pyramid signifies Strength and Duration: The Eye over it & the
                    Motto allude to the many signal interpositions of providence in
                    favour of the American cause. The date underneath is that of the
                    Declaration of Independence and the words under it signify the
                    beginning of the new American Era, which commences from that date

                    More about the symbols at http://www.greatseal.com/symbols/index.html

                    Of course, those Freemason Gypsies, the Windsor-Rothschilds, probably
                    own the web sites :-)"

                    caio
                    Graeme
                  • ravenduongladash
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 26, 2004
                      My, it certainly takes a while for mail to get thru the Yahoo server
                      *grin*.
                      Original mail was posted Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:18 am and appears on the
                      25th :-)

                      <snip>

                      caio
                      Graeme
                    • Joan Marie Verba
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 26, 2004
                        ravenduongladash wrote:

                        > My, it certainly takes a while for mail to get thru the Yahoo server
                        > *grin*.
                        > Original mail was posted Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:18 am and appears on the
                        > 25th :-)

                        This particular one got "stuck" and I was only aware of this last night
                        when I checked my moderator board.

                        Joan
                        Joan Marie Verba
                        verba001@...