MythCon, and papers

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
      Hi again,

      OK I am facing reality and there are too many irons in the fire, and dogies
      to catch for them, for me to go this year. I would rather not push the
      issue, because I don't want to ruin future opportunities. Thus I would
      like to take up the offer of the person who had earlier offered to pick up
      some papers there, as they were available. I can reimburse or whatever.
      We can talk later. Kids are off this week and I have too few brain cells
      left.

      Also, I would like to know if any plans have been made for next year, and
      if there are locations picked, etc. Sometimes the right location (where
      there are other draws, like family or friends or research) will help. I
      would vote for DFW, Denver/Greeley, or Phoenix/Tucson, or of course
      anything hereabouts, such as Albany or Bennington... ggg

      best,

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
        Hi Liz -

        Um, Next year (2005) is in Birmingham, England! Even less convenient,
        but a lot more fun. We are a "participating" organization at the Tolkien
        Society conference (we give them panel ideas and panelists, and help
        with publicity in America, they give our members a discount). You can
        check out their website - http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/ But if
        you can't afford Michigan, I suppose England is out of the question.

        2006 and beyond are still TBD. Wanna chair a Mythcon, little girl?
        Planning for Mythcons is rarely more than two years out, so we are still
        trying to figure out which arms to twist for anything after 2005.

        Sorry you can't make it this year. But I know what you are going
        through. I haven't sent in my room and board because I still don't know
        what my summer schedule is going to look like.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2004
          England actually isn't so far out... we have tons of rellies and college
          friends in the UK, although 2005 was sooner than our next trip was planned
          (I was thinking 2008 or so). There is going to be a bead show in France in
          2005 actually that I had dreamed of attending, at a cool-sounding museum,
          but that is far, far from likely ! Still, see what I mean about you never
          know with location. I do hope you get to go this year. The nice thing is
          that it sounds like this isn't one of those things that you book in the
          opening week or forget about it.

          I don't have a good head for details and leading things, but I am a pretty
          good follower. If there were to be something in this area (I am about an
          hour and change north of NYC) I would be happy to do what I could in terms
          of goforing and fetching and whatever!

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12, 2004
            I just got back from Pop Culture (lots of great papers!) and saw the
            discussion about transportation at the Ann Arbor Mythcon. I don't know
            all the details, but there WILL be shuttle service between the two
            locations. Breakfast, dinner, and evening activities will be at the
            hotel. I imagine details will be worked out as we schedule the papers
            and programming, about how often and how frequently the shuttles will
            run.

            Janet Brennan Croft