Mythsoc

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hi all,

      Guess I'm not the only one tied up with strange vibrations (oldest child
      started experimenting with matches today, among other things). But I'd
      really appreciate it if anyone has a few ballpark figures that would help
      me guesstimate the cost of Mythcon. And how far outside Detroit is the
      airport? If one is intimidated by urban traffic, how much valium will one
      need to drive from the airport to the con, or is it far enough out of town
      that it won't be so bad?

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
        Cost of Mythcon is easy. Add up your transportation costs. Add up
        membership and room and board: you won't need additional money for food et
        al unless you stay over. Everything's covered. Except the dealer's room
        and auction. Expect to spend a lot there.

        As Lisa said: if you don't want to miss any Monday programming, pick a
        flight that leaves at about 2 PM or later. That'll give you time to get to
        the airport and grab a bite. If you need to leave earlier: there may be
        some papers early Monday morning, but the last couple hours at Mythcon are
        usually given over to the Members' Meeting (informative but, with apologies
        to the Stewards, not all that entertaining) and the Closing Ceremonies
        (completely uninformative but extremely entertaining).

        DTW to Ann Arbor is the outer Detroit suburbs. Traffic is probably bad at
        commute hours but not otherwise. That's a guess as I don't live there.

        But don't drive: take an airport shuttle. Unless you're planning to do
        other things with your vacation, or are going to a church beyond walking
        distance (and even then you may be able to get a ride with someone else),
        you won't need a car at Mythcon. I frequently make Mythcon part of a
        larger vacation and thus have a car, but it usually sits unused for most of
        the Mythcon weekend. Depending on the location, Berni may drive to church.
        And I may volunteer to run an errand for someone because I have a car.
        That's it.

        DB

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2004
          At 09:54 PM 4/5/2004 -0700, I wrote:
          >you won't need a car at Mythcon.

          Well, belay _that_ remark. Mythcons are traditionally held in combined
          housing/meeting facilities. Why, when the first Boulder Mythcon involved
          what many felt was too long a walk across the University of Colorado campus
          from the air-conditioned dorms to the meeting rooms, the committee took
          heed and chose a hotel with meeting rooms on site, off campus, for their
          next Mythcon.

          But I've just checked the web sites for the Ann Arbor Mythcon facilities,
          compared the addresses, and found that our hotel is FOUR MILES from our
          meeting facilities. Holy Orlando Bloom! How is it being planned to
          transport us back and forth? How can we go back to our rooms during the
          day to drop off stuff, change clothes, etc.? If we do drive, how's the
          parking near the meeting facilities? (City campuses are notoriously
          difficult to park at, even on summer weekends.)

          I'm going to try to ferret out answers to these questions. But I rather
          wish it hadn't been left as a surprise for us to discover.

          - DB
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
            David wrote:

            >DTW to Ann Arbor is the outer Detroit suburbs. Traffic is probably bad at
            >commute hours but not otherwise. That's a guess as I don't live there.

            Detroit traffic can be bad, though I've never seen it as heavy as in, say,
            Los Angeles or Chicago, and it lightens up as one gets further from the
            city to the west, towards Ann Arbor. I've never driven from Detroit airport
            (DTW) to Ann Arbor, but it should be a fairly easy drive on I-94. It
            sometimes takes longer to get from an I-94 exit to the center of Ann Arbor,
            on city streets, than it does to get from the immediate Detroit area to an
            Ann Arbor exit on the interstate. (Christina and I visit my sister every so
            often in Livonia, outside Detroit, and went to library school in Ann Arbor,
            so I know the area.)

            >But I've just checked the web sites for the Ann Arbor Mythcon facilities,
            >compared the addresses, and found that our hotel is FOUR MILES from our
            >meeting facilities. Holy Orlando Bloom! How is it being planned to
            >transport us back and forth? How can we go back to our rooms during the
            >day to drop off stuff, change clothes, etc.? If we do drive, how's the
            >parking near the meeting facilities? (City campuses are notoriously
            >difficult to park at, even on summer weekends.)

            The Holiday Inn is supposed to have complimentary local shuttle bus service
            to and from town, but it remains to be seen how frequent or convenient that
            would be, especially if one wanted to go back to the hotel as David remarks
            -- which one _will_ want to do and _does_ want to do at a Mythcon. On the
            other hand, traffic in Ann Arbor can be slow, one must navigate one-way
            streets, and other factors (such as having to walk between parking and the
            Michigan League) could make using a private car as time-costly as using the
            hotel shuttle. Parking in the center of Ann Arbor is said to be scarce and
            difficult; however, I've never found it so, at least insofar as the
            municipal parking garages are concerned
            (http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/DDA/parking.html). I've usually parked in
            the Maynard Street structure, because it's nearest the book and record
            shops. From there it would be not too far a walk to the Michigan League
            (though by no means right around the corner). The Michigan League site
            (http://www.umich.edu/~league/direct.html) shows two parking lots closer
            by, but I don't know those from experience.

            Wayne
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
              In a message dated 4/6/2004 7:55:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              >Holy Orlando Bloom! How is it being planned to transport us back and forth?

              I understand there are shuttles. I remember being informed that there are
              parking difficulties in the downtown University area.

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
                At 09:54 AM 4/6/2004 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                >I've usually parked in
                >the Maynard Street structure, because it's nearest the book and record
                >shops. From there it would be not too far a walk to the Michigan League

                And it costs 95 cents an hour six days a week, which isn't extortionate but
                is a bit annoying if you're going to be there all day. Whether it'll be
                less bother than a shuttle is the question. If the service is just a
                default hotel shuttle that doesn't go directly to the Michigan League (the
                meeting building), driving will be less of a bother.

                - DB