Re: New Beowulf

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
      On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

      > I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
      > (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
      > country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
      > years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
      > about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
      > about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.

      Americans tend not, however, to make a big deal out of ancestors who were
      only 1/64th of their ancestry, unless it's something rare and special. I
      know people who are 1/64th Amerind, and proud of it.

      Tolkien didn't make a big deal out of his ancestry: these are three
      letters over an entire lifetime! But to the extent that he did, it was
      1) to correct the misapprehension, from his name, that he was German; 2)
      because he loved his homeland and felt a special connection with it.
      There's nothing wrong with that: here in California, people whose
      ancestors have been here for a whole hundred years feel a special sense
      of connectedness which they hold over those of us who've only been here
      for 30 or 40 years; and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
      before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
      something over the dot-com weenies.

      > Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
      > letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
      > the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
      > who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
      > the book would be utter heresy.

      I agree with them!

      David Bratman
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
        ----------
        >From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

        >On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 WendellWag@... wrote:

        >> Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
        >> letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
        >> the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
        >> who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
        >> the book would be utter heresy.
        >
        >I agree with them!

        Hmmph. Surely they would agree to let Americans voice the orcs!

        Berni
        David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
        (Just kidding, dear!)
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
          On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Berni Phillips wrote:

          > David Bratman is not responsible for the following message:
          > (Just kidding, dear!)

          What, I _am_ responsible for the following message? <g>

          DB
        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2000
            "David S. Bratman" wrote:

            >and we, in turn, who can remember Silicon Valley
            > before it was called that, and when it was full of orchards, have
            > something over the dot-com weenies.

            David,

            Your comment about the orchards brought back a flood of memories of the
            Santa Clara Valley when it still have more orchards than concrete. I can
            remember looking down over the valley from Skyline or the Saratoga Gap
            and seeing blossoms--plum and apricot--from the Santa Cruz foothills to
            the Mt. Hamilton range.

            Thanks for the jolt to my memory!

            Ted
            --