Writers and Cons

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
      A side note: At a con in the 80s, saw Steve Brust "win" over Brin in a
      panel topic of which was better, SF or Fantasy. <g> >>

      Now THAT must have been almost unbearably cool, Deirdre. I like both
      authors, Brust a little more out of pure enjoyment, and to hear them both
      speak like that must have been a blast. In fact I've been meaning to catch
      up on my Brust, both the Vlad Taltos books and the Phoenix Guard ones. I
      know I'm at least a few volumes behind. I've got to get to a con someday.

      Are cons a list topic? Where do I look to find out about them? I keep
      hearing about gaming cons, and marketing cons, but not so much
      fantasy/writing ones. And I thought I remembered them being out there. ??

      Lizzie Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
        Lizzie,

        A good source for listings of -real- sf/fantasy cons, the ones where they
        talk about literature (as well as visual media, or sometimes instead of it)
        is here:

        <http://www.locusmag.com/Conventions.html>

        Note the presence of Mythcon on the list.

        For more info on individual cons, follow the links to their own websites.

        - David Bratman
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
          Ooooh, books over movies. Thanks, David!

          Lizzie Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
            Note the presence of Mythcon on the list. >>

            PS I don't mean to slight Mythcon by my queries. Likely I will get to one
            someday. But you already think I'm an airhead, no need to show up and
            prove it (which I would). Although something that I ran across about
            Gaiman recently made me think maybe he's more than the guy behind
            Sandman... and the topic, Bridges, is just too cool.

            Lizzie Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
              Oh... the link to Mythcon doesn't work because they misspelled Mythsoc.
              Whom do we tell?

              Lizzie Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                At 01:44 PM 4/3/2004 -0500, Lizzie wrote:
                >Oh... the link to Mythcon doesn't work because they misspelled Mythsoc.
                >Whom do we tell?

                I have now told that tale. Thanks for noticing it.

                And come to Mythcon. You'll be welcome.

                - DB
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2004
                  I have now told that tale. Thanks for noticing it.

                  And come to Mythcon. You'll be welcome. >>

                  Thanks. I'll think about it. What's the late registration situation?
                  It's not something I can really decide until family vacation plans have
                  been finalized.

                  Lizzie Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                    In a message dated 4/3/2004 2:42:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    > Likely I will get to one
                    > someday. But you already think I'm an airhead, no need to show up and
                    > prove it (which I would).

                    I know I've made this point before, but please don't put yourself down this
                    way. You're one of the better-read persons on this list. You would be one of
                    the better-read persons at Mythcon.

                    You'll love it at Mythcon. Whatever objections I've had to the
                    administration of Mythcon or of the Mythopoeic Society generally, they are great ways to
                    get together with other people interested in fantasy and the Inklings. And cons
                    in general are fun, though there it would be even more obvious that you are
                    more well-read than most fans.

                    I haven't been posting much for the past three weeks because I had a lot to
                    do. The only relevant item among those things that I was doing was that I was
                    going through my books to find ones that I can donate to the Society auction
                    at Mythcon. I'm going to be donating sixty or so books and miscellaneous items
                    to the auction.

                  • Margaret Dean
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2004
                      WendellWag@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 4/3/2004 2:42:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > lizziewriter@... writes:
                      >
                      > > Likely I will get to one
                      > > someday. But you already think I'm an airhead, no need to show up and
                      > > prove it (which I would).
                      >
                      > I know I've made this point before, but please don't put yourself down
                      > this way. You're one of the better-read persons on this list. You would
                      > be one of the better-read persons at Mythcon.
                      >
                      > You'll love it at Mythcon.

                      Absolutely, you will. Don't let the academic location fool you,
                      don't let the idea of "papers" scare you away. You'll be
                      astonished -- especially if you've been to other sf/fantasy cons
                      and mostly attended panels where the panelists have been told the
                      subject of the panel five minutes beforehand -- how riveting a
                      supposedly "academic" paper can be when it's about a work you
                      know and love, written and delivered by someone who knows and
                      loves it too.

                      And you'll be delighted at how easy it is to meet and talk to
                      people when meals are communal. And you'll be charmed at how
                      delightful and friendly these people are. You'll feel like a
                      long-lost cousin welcomed into the family (I certainly did, at my
                      first Mythcon mumblemumble years ago). And there's pageantry and
                      performances and plain old fun and silliness (like the Golfimbul
                      games).

                      The exigencies of caring for a family with kids have prevented my
                      attending any recently (the last one I was at was, in fact, the
                      one Wendell helped run in the D.C. area, which with a 1
                      1/2-year-old in tow was only a qualified success), but once
                      they're old enough to get along without me for a weekend -- or to
                      want to come along as regular attendees! -- watch out!

                      --Margaret Dean
                      <margdean@...>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5, 2004
                        At 09:45 PM 4/4/2004 -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:

                        >You'll be astonished how riveting a
                        >supposedly "academic" paper can be when it's about a work you
                        >know and love, written and delivered by someone who knows and
                        >loves it too.

                        Insert warm memory here of Grace Monk's bold declaration in her paper last
                        year that Tolkien's depiction of Eowyn was one of the finest things in all
                        literature. Hear, hear!

                        >The exigencies of caring for a family with kids have prevented my
                        >attending any recently (the last one I was at was, in fact, the
                        >one Wendell helped run in the D.C. area, which with a 1
                        >1/2-year-old in tow was only a qualified success), but once
                        >they're old enough to get along without me for a weekend -- or to
                        >want to come along as regular attendees! -- watch out!

                        Well, good. Too long without seeing, even counting a visit to your home
                        when I found myself in your area a few years ago.

                        - David Bratman
                      • Walkermonk@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
                          In a message dated 4/5/2004 7:51:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          dbratman@... writes:
                          Insert warm memory here of Grace Monk's bold declaration in her paper last
                          year that Tolkien's depiction of Eowyn was one of the finest things in all
                          literature. Hear, hear!
                          To paraphrase the great D.L. Sayers, praise from Sir David is praise indeed!
                          Thank you. I however am only reporting the truth. The scene of Dernhelm
                          revealing himself to be in fact Eowyn is the greatest single scene ever written in
                          the history of anything.

                          Hope you are well and eagerly anticipating Part 2 of *your* wonderful
                          presentation about Tolkien and music (can't remember the specific title...).

                          Thank you again,
                          Grace

                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 8, 2004
                            Absolutely; I think Ted Sherman should personally knock on Grace's door
                            and beg her on bended knee to let him publish her paper. ---djb

                            At 09:45 PM 4/4/2004 -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:

                            >You'll be astonished how riveting a
                            >supposedly "academic" paper can be when it's about a work you
                            >know and love, written and delivered by someone who knows and
                            >loves it too.

                            Insert warm memory here of Grace Monk's bold declaration in her paper last
                            year that Tolkien's depiction of Eowyn was one of the finest things in all
                            literature. Hear, hear!

                            >The exigencies of caring for a family with kids have prevented my
                            >attending any recently (the last one I was at was, in fact, the
                            >one Wendell helped run in the D.C. area, which with a 1
                            >1/2-year-old in tow was only a qualified success), but once
                            >they're old enough to get along without me for a weekend -- or to
                            >want to come along as regular attendees! -- watch out!

                            Well, good. Too long without seeing, even counting a visit to your home
                            when I found myself in your area a few years ago.

                            - David Bratman

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://mail2web.com/ .