Williams article

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      <http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.aspx?story_id=2106861>

      Supposedly this is a review of Jared Lobdell's edition of Williams's
      detective fiction reviews, but like so many reviews in major literary
      outlets, it's more a general evaluation of the subject or the author: in
      this case the author. At last, a mainstream press article that discusses
      Williams and Tolkien with the realization that they were friends, not
      mortal enemies.

      Some interesting insights into Williams's own career and novels, but I have
      to disagree with its evaluation of Williams's publishing history. Lindop
      says that Williams was primed for major literary status at the end of WW2,
      with people like Auden and Eliot championing him, but his death and a paper
      shortage did this in. I doubt this. Williams may have been dead but Auden
      and Eliot certainly weren't, and they did their best. Especially Eliot who
      as a publisher was in a position to put Williams's novels back in print
      which, despite the paper shortage, he did.

      - David Bratman